Streaming video from one computer's webcam to another computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iToaster, Aug 6, 2008.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

So, I've recently spawned an idea from the deep dark reaches of my brain involving a webcam on my Mac Pro and my PowerBook. What I want to do is have the webcam setup somewhere around my other house connected to my stationary Mac and then somehow take the audio and video from the camera and shoot it over to my PowerBook so I can check on things while my mother is away (like the level of cat food in the bowl) and see when I need to go over there. After thinking this out, my only tough spot is finding a way to stream it to my laptop, so, the question is, are there any apps out there that will do this or any way to do this with what I have already? (I know I could just use screen sharing, but that doesn't get the desired effect)

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

You could set up two Gmail accounts, log into both with iChat, and then set up a video conference between the two computers.

I had the idea of sitting my G3 PowerBook on a (large) remote controlled car with my DV camera and driving throughout the house, wirelessly transmitting the view to my PowerMac :cool:

3. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Hmm... I guess that would be the easiest way to do it then. I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

mobile me back to my mac or quicktime broadcaster?