Streaming video from synology NAS to TV?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CavemanMike, Feb 4, 2014.

1. CavemanMike macrumors regular

I have a macbook 2013 retina, apple extreme AC router, a synology DS214 NAS, and a samsung flat screen HD tv (though not a smart tv), TIVO HD, and a PS3.

I'm interested in ripping my dvd collection to my NAS so it can be streamed to my tv, on-demand, within my house, even if my mac is OFF.

What hardware would I need so I could use some kind of remote control to select, play, pause, fast forward within a ripped video? I don't want to have to fuss with my mac (or even have it on once the ripped video is on the NAS).

Would I need to get a roku or something? My PS3 supports DNLA, and I was able to stream a video to it, but fast forwarding/reversing was blind (I could see where I was within the video, which made it essentially useless.)

I tried Open DVD Ripper for mac, and it did indeed create an MP4 which I copied to my NAS. It plays fine if I double click the .MP4 on the NAS from my mac; in fact I can drag the indicator left and right and zoom around within the video really quickly, and it was shockingly responsive. However, it could not be streamed via a web browser using the synology video station applet (it complained about the format not being compatible). That's not a big deal because that's not how I would consume it.

Any tips would be very much appreciated. I really have no idea on what tools, hardware, etc. would be needed.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

2. CavemanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Frame display during FF/REW?

New development:

I dug out my old ps3 remote control ( I had been using the game controller to watch the occasional video).

I realized that if I press the display button, it does show progress and position as I fast forward/rewind through the video. So, it's not really "blind": it's just not like a dvd player or tivo where you the updated frame is displayed at least once/second during the ff/rew.

I wonder if any of the streaming devices behave that way?

Mike

3. CavemanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Wd tv play

The wd tv play seems like it will do what I want (supports frame visible FF, and can play from the NAS, or DLNA)

It's only $50 so I think I'll get it and play around with it!

Mike

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Just make sure you get it from a place that has a return policy if it is not to your liking. Places like Best Buy are usually pretty good about returns.