streaming video help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eddienz, May 26, 2008.

1. eddienz macrumors newbie

If someone could help me with this issue I would be most grateful.

At present I am unable to view streaming video (flash, quicktime etc) in any of my internet browsers. When I try to view a video it plays the first two seconds without sound and then stops. I do wait for the video to buffer so that is not the problem.

I have tried reinstalling flash player, deleting preferences, reinstalling my browsers, repairing disk permissions etc.

How can I fix this problem? Everything was working fine a week ago.

ibook g4 1.42 ghz ppc
    1gb ram

2. gill99msu macrumors newbie

streaming video help

I don't know if the problem is the same, but the symptoms seem similar.

I have the same problem when I am using a bluetooth headset with my mac. The audio works fine through Itunes or any other audio source, but when I tried to watch a web video such as flash, it would just freeze the video. As soon as I disconnected the device, the flash video would resume playing. I haven't searched for a 'real' fix, but this sounded familiar to your problem.

3. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

So, if you just go to a random Youtube video this will happen? Does this problem occur with other computers connected to the same internet connection? Are other web tasks (i.e., simple browsing) particularly slow? I know it sounds basic, but, have you tried restarting the computer? Also, run the application "Activity Monitor" located in the "Utilities" sub-folder of your "Applications" folder. Sort the tasks by "CPU" usage... anything noteworthy? Also, go to the "Network" tab. Any excessive data usage?

If none of those solution avenues are fruitful, then, you really have exhausted everything reasonable. It might just be easiest to just reinstall OS X. I know it sounds like a real hassle, but depending on your current level of frustration, it's probably your best bet.

4. eddienz thread starter macrumors newbie

it only appears to be my computer that is affected on the network. There doesn't appear to be any problems with memory usage.

I tried to reinstall osx but I couldn't even do that the disks I have wouldn't let. And yes I did restart the computer holding the 'c' key. It doesn't look like I am going to be able to fix this problem. It's probably time to upgrade to an intel mac anyways.

5. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

What specifically is wrong with your OS X install DVDs? Or, are these the restore disks that came with your computer? What version of OS X are you running?

Getting a new computer is certainly an (expensive) option. You might just want to get a retail copy of Leopard ( say from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FK88JK/ref=nosim/tirebouchon-20 ). It is $109, but, it would save you a lot of money versus a whole new computer, if you don't need a new one now otherwise.