streaming video issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by baskumet, Feb 5, 2010.

1. baskumet macrumors newbie

i'm using early-2009 2.66 quad core with 3 gigs ram and nvidia geforce 120 and have been having some problems with streaming video.
    the video will pause every 20 seconds or so, it's not really choppy, more like a stutter. as you can imagine, this is very annoying. i've tried playing videos from multiple sites and browsers (firefox, chrome and safari) and it's the same. my 2.93 ghz imac 24" handles streaming video just fine.
    any advice or ideas?
    thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's likely the ISP service you have is too slow for the content you're trying to stream (bandwidth connection you pay for), one of the intermediary connections is too slow, or the server is overloaded.

The hardware you have is more than capable. The memory could be a little light if you've other windows open, so you could try closing some down if that's the case. But the ISP bandwidth is by far the more likely problem.

3. baskumet thread starter macrumors newbie

my first guess would be the internet, but it is kind of strange that i have my imac and mac pro side by side and the imac will play youtube, vimeo, etc. just fine but the mac pro will struggle with it

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

What all have you been attempting to run with it at the same time?
    Is the bandwidth being shared with other systems?
    (There might be something accessing the net without your realizing it, such as automatic software updates,...).

I ask, as there is two threads on audio/heat/performance loss/power consumption increase about the '09 MP's, and video can be affected by this issue. But video alone works as I understand it.

As mentioned earlier, it may also just be you need more memory, given what else may be running (open applications). So you might want to take a look at your memory usage to see what's being used.

They're simple ideas, but can cover a lot of the possibilities. ;)

5. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Quick question: do you have any video add-ons or additional codecs on the mac pro, that you don't have on your iMac?

For example I use VLC for everything video on my machine, except when watching movies streamed on my network. For some reason it's ridiculously choppy and stuttering, while Quicktime streams videos flawlessly.

Maybe an add-on or codec is doing something similar on your mac pro.

Loa