Streaming video on a mac (Ustream, justintv etc...)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gator24765, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Hello everybody, just looking for some help. I am looking to stream some sporting events live on the internet. I am looking to use Ustream. Anyway, It is going to be an easy 1 camera set up just to get a video of the game and then we will have play by play announcing..

My question is what is a solid setup for this. I have a canon vixia HF20. It doesn't have a firewire. Should I buy a high quality webcam i can point towards the field so I can still use my computer or should I buy a video capure device that I can plug my camcorder into?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Big Shisha macrumors member

Hi,

I started doing this last year.
    I have a Canon HF100, but what I found out what that you can only use a firewire camera to stream. Cameras with a HD are unable to function as a webcam(which in effect it will be) due to the compression method used(from what I could gather using google).
    I ended up getting a 2nd hand Sony Mini-DV camera, with a firewire connection and it worked fine.
    I'm not sure if something like this would work with the Canon I haven't had a chance to buy/test it yet.
    I reason I went with the camera apart from the webcam(apart from the cost) was that I could zoom and fit the video camera on a tripod.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info let me know.

3. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Yes this helps. Any recommendation on a good camcorder that is cheap that has firewire?? Prices have to be cheap cause they are older..

4. Big Shisha macrumors member

I'm not sure to be honest. I brought a second hand camera for something like £60 as we had little to no budget and our internet connection wasn't good enough for streaming in HD.
    There are High Def mini-dv cameras out there, but I haven't used any to be honest. Sorry.

5. turbobass macrumors 6502

What is your setup? You can also use a blackmagic card ($199)

6. jdm111 macrumors regular

He's on a MacBook Pro.

7. jdm111 macrumors regular

Take an analog output out of the camera into a USB capture card.

8. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

Matrox MXO2 Mini + Expresscard on MacBook Pro.
    Ustream application should be able to detect Matrox as a capture device.

9. Big Shisha macrumors member

Does anyone know if I would be able to capture from 2 different cameras at the same time using 2 of these? http://www.ezcap.tv/

I would like to stream using 2 cams, but the only twin imput devices are really expensive?

Or could I use one of the above and one connected via firewire?

Thanks