Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meatweaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hi everyone--I'm strongly considering getting a MBA at some point this year and I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks looking for an answer to one of my major concerns.

Since this will be a laptop primarily for home use, one of my primary uses is streaming videos from Hulu or Netflix from my bed before I go to sleep. I currently have a mid-2000 2.0 GHz Macbook (1 GB Ram) and it performs most of what I need it to do well still. But when streaming videos, the CPU heats up past 170 degrees F and stops streaming smoothly.

On this forum, I've seen conflicting bits of advice on how well MBA handles streaming video. But part of me thinks if the iPad can do it, the MBA should be able to do it well too. And at my local Mac retailer, the dude told me that MBAs tend to stay cooler than other Mac laptops due to the SSD.

Thanks for the advice!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I haven't tried Hulu or Netflix, but streaming HD YouTube videos on my Ultimate 13" has been smooth (no stalls/stutters) for me, although it does kick the fan on eventually.

meatweaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I should note that my current computer will usually play videos for about 20 minutes before it heats up and stops playing. I'd like any new computer I buy to last longer than this, and preferably to not have this problem at all.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've been using my MBA to playback 720p Blu-Ray rips on 1080p TV without any issues. The fan runs a bit high but you can't hear it when watching the movie.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I've got the base 13" MBA and it streams Netflix excellently! No stutter, skips, or anything. Just smooth. Never even gets above 65 C either.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hellhammer--What are the specs on you MBA?

Thanks.

13" 1.86GHz, 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM. I.e. the base 13" with upgraded RAM. The bitrate of the movies has been around 5Mb/s so ~4GB in total size. Not necessarily related to this but using the Mini DisplayPort for audio causes FPS drop as the audio has to be decoded which eats up the CPU so using another cable for audio might be a good solution (eliminates the FPS drops).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.