Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Maybe it's me, but the system requirements to view Innertube (CBS' broadband channel) are awfully high. You need at least a G5 processor, as opposed to at least a 666 MHZ P3 on Windows. The rest of the requirements, generally are the same... 512 MB+ etc etc. But requiring a G5 for Mac people is a lot... G4s were sold until this spring in the iBook and until January in the Mac Mini.

Streaming video over the net is not smooth on my 1.33 G4 Mini with 1 GB RAM and 32 MB dedicated VRAM... tends to be choppy. It's silky smooth on my PC that has a 3.0 P4 w/ hyper-threading, 1 GB RAM and 96 MB integrated VRAM. And for what its worth, when you click on "go big!" on espn.com the video playback is again choppy/poor on my Mini but perfect on my PC. I have a 5 mbps cable connection.

I really hope my Mini (bought 2 months before the Intel Minis :( ) isn't already choking b/c of its average specs............

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Choppy Video Streaming

Maybe it's me, but the system requirements to view Innertube (CBS' broadband channel) are awfully high. You need at least a G5 processor, as opposed to at least a 666 MHZ P3 on Windows. The rest of the requirements, generally are the same... 512 MB+ etc etc. But requiring a G5 for Mac people is a lot... G4s were sold until this spring in the iBook and until January in the Mac Mini.

Streaming video over the net is not smooth on my 1.33 G4 Mini with 1 GB RAM and 32 MB dedicated VRAM... tends to be choppy. It's silky smooth on my PC that has a 3.0 P4 w/ hyper-threading, 1 GB RAM and 96 MB integrated VRAM. And for what its worth, when you click on "go big!" on espn.com the video playback is again choppy/poor on my Mini but perfect on my PC. I have a 5 mbps cable connection.

I really hope my Mini (bought 2 months before the Intel Minis :( ) isn't already choking b/c of its average specs............

I know this is an old post but this exact same thing is happening to me today with my late 2009 Mini (3,1) 2.53 Mhz, with 4MB of RAM. I am trying to view streaming video over the net. The audio is perfect, but the video is choppy. All my software is up to date and I'm viewing it via ethernet to my Airport Base Station (new), not via WiFi. Flash is updated. Browser is Firefox 6.0, though Safari 5.1 has the same problem. I can't tell if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. Any suggestions?

vert18

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
if its flash then it's not your computer but it's ADOBE FLASHS problem.

View the same stuff on for example on you tube vs html5 (have to opt in html5 beta on you tube and use like chrome or safari (not firefox) and flash will be choppy and shakey and the html5 will be fine.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
if its flash then it's not your computer but it's ADOBE FLASHS problem.

View the same stuff on for example on you tube vs html5 (have to opt in html5 beta on you tube and use like chrome or safari (not firefox) and flash will be choppy and shakey and the html5 will be fine.

Pretty sure its Apple's fault if Adobe Flash is the ploblem; they've blocked access to the Hardware Acceleration API for video decoded in anything other than H.264.

Last edited:

vert18

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
Pretty sure its Apple's fault if Adobe Flash is the ploblem; they've blocked access to the Hardware Acceleration API for video decoded in anything other than H.264.

This above just isn't true.

Hardware Acceleration is fairly new for windows and mac for FLASH.
So you have a mac that has the Hardware acceleration enabled like I do, it still DOES NOT WORK RIGHT. This is ADOBES fault in their port to mac.

"Adobe released Flash 10.1 in June with hardware acceleration for Windows. It's only now that the feature is available on OS X in a non-beta release despite Apple opening the hardware acceleration APIs for certain models of GPUs several months ago, way back in April. Even now, this release only supports hardware acceleration on Macs made in the last couple of years...."

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
"Adobe released Flash 10.1 in June with hardware acceleration for Windows. It's only now that the feature is available on OS X in a non-beta release despite Apple opening the hardware acceleration APIs for certain models of GPUs several months ago, way back in April. Even now, this release only supports hardware acceleration on Macs made in the last couple of years...."

From the next sentence of that same article:

"-- although in fairness, that's more Apple's fault than Adobe's"

Dizzler, it means that Apple haven't allowed Adobe access to the graphics cards to help take the load off the CPU when it's processing video, in certain models of their computers. This can result in the choppy performance that you're referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:

vert18

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
From the next sentence of that same article:

"-- although in fairness, that's more Apple's fault than Adobe's"

Dizzler, it means that Apple haven't allowed Adobe access to the graphics cards to help take the load off the CPU when it's processing video, in certain models of their computers. This can result in the choppy performance that you're referring to.

Dude, that is a writers comment/opinion and so is yours.

Well, g, since this is NEW, how come FLASH used to be FINE before they wanted access to the API of hardware acceleration.

I expect the response to be the same...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I have a 2011 mid Mini (AMD) and have noticed sluggish vid playback from even saved vid files. It plays smoothly albeit the fan spins up pretty fast, but fast forwarding through the vids is sluggish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.