streaming video podcasts in iTunes (can't fast forward?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ubizubi, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ubizubi macrumors newbie

I used to watch streaming video podcasts in iTunes and they would popup in a separate quicktime-type window. Since a recent update streaming podcasts appear in a non-adjustable window over iTunes and I am no longer able to select which portion of the podcast I would like to view. This is irritating.

I've looked through the settings and can't find anything that fixes this.

This is 10.6.2 on a Macbook Pro (Spring 2009?), with iTunes 9.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bill

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ubizubi thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately neither of those change the behavior of video podcasts :(

4. ubizubi thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does. From iTunes > Help > Watching Video (found by searching for "podcast"):
    Picture 6.jpg
    If you're referring to the play button in the iTunes Store, as indicated by the arrow below, that's only intended as a preview of the file you download. It's not intended for you to watch the podcast by that method.
    Picture 7.jpg

6. ubizubi thread starter macrumors newbie

Until recently, when the preview/play button was pressed, it opened the video podcast in a separate window and streamed it--rather than making you download the entire file and having it sit in your itunes library for eternity. I'm absolutely certain of this because I had done it every day for quite a while now (a year? more?).

Possibly this was purposely changed for some reason, but it's quite irritating. :mad:

Thanks for trying and if anyone know more info I'd love to hear it! Thanks. :cool:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but you can delete it from your iTunes library anytime you choose, so it doesn't have to sit there "for eternity".

8. ubizubi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I understand that they can be deleted later. But it can take a half hour or more to download on my sometimes slow DSL connection. I don't always want to leave the computer on all night, and I don't always want to subscribe to a podcast--sometimes I just want to watch a particular episode of a show.

I would much rather be able to (as I used to be able to do) click on it and stream it in a useable player immediately. I could just sit and watch it stream on my iphone without downloading the full podcast, but sometimes it's more pleasant to watch on a bigger screen.

Sorry for going in circles. I may just try to downgrade iTunes, as silly as that is. I was hoping there was a way to get this to work again in the current version.

Edit: someone else having the same problem on Apple's support boards: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2310460&tstart=0