Streaming Video Recommendation

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bielen, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bielen macrumors regular

I'm looking to purchase an Apple TV and want to pair it with a device that I can stream. I've been researching various NAS units, but cannot find anything that will stream to the AppleTV as iTunes needs to be running.

I found the HP MediaSmart servers which seem to do what I want? Would a Mac Mini with an external RAID be a better option albeit more costly?

Basically I want to stream DVDs and content stored on hard drive that I originally shot with a camcorder?

My other final thought is to purchase a 160GB AppleTV and just transfer the content to the AppleTV and be done for now. I can always upgrade if Apple comes up with a true media server in the future.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Mike

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

get a 40 gb Apple TV and upgrade the drive yourself.

3. mr1970 macrumors member

It all depends on your budget. Personally I'd avoid upgrading the ATV hard drive and get something else to act as a server.

I got a bargain on a Gigabit Ethernet G4 tower running Tiger on eBay, added a Sonnet PCI card and 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB drives, set them to mirror using Disk Utility and now have a robust server which has all the space I'm likely to need for a couple of years. It also functions as a print server and occasional internet terminal, and has a firewire hard drive hanging off the back which is partitioned to hold Time Machine backups for my laptop and my wife's. Next step is to get VNC running so that I can administer it remotely where necessary.

It streams video perfectly well over a home powerline network - never had a glitch.

It's also the nicest machine I've ever worked on - very very easy to add drives, memory, clean it out etc etc.