Streaming video to web

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by definitive, Feb 3, 2011.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Does anyone know how I could do this? Basically I have a client who wants to stream a part of their store to the general public so that people could see what happens during the day. All that I know at the moment is that it will be a flash window located on their front page. I just don't know how I should go about streaming to the web. Would I need a dedicated IP? Hardware/Server? What kind of bandwidth would this require?

2. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

I posted the same question here some time back but got no response(N) So, i done some digging for myself.

When i done mine it was for a DofE (A Charity), which meant i was after a rather free option, i found YawCam. Downloading their software, i was then able to stream live onto a html page, which they set up for free! I then embeded it into my own website.

3. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed it has a scheduling feature which is nice and what I've been looking for. I have several other questions in relation to this:

What kind of hardware would I need for this, and what type of internet connection? Would a normal pc or a netbook with an attached higher quality webcam (thinking of going with a higher quality Logitech - does the app work with their cameras?) be enough? What about bandwidth usage? Wouldn't I need a really fast upload connection if I'm planning on using a direct stream? Cable modem? FIOS? Or is there some service which allows you to stream to them and they relay to your site (similar to Justin.tv or Stream.tv, though I'd prefer not to deal with them in particular)?

4. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

I shall try and answer all of these to the best i can, but i can tell you now i'm no possessional on this!:)

I have done this a couple of times now, once just through my built in camera, the quality of the camera, is crap, but when i saw it on the internet i didn't think it was that bad. I have also used a high quality camera (cost me around £50) and the quality was fantastic, did lag at times, but you get that no matter where you go.
    So, i would recommend you use an attached camera, but built in ones do work fine.

I'm affraid i don't know the full answer to how much bandwith it was using... HOWEVER, i can tell you that i was uploading it, while on sufering the web, and the effect wasn't that bad. I have also ran it through 3G on my phone, connected to my laptop, and it was OKAY but i couldn't load anything else.
    I have allways used a wireless.

Sorry, but i have no experience on the other services, i did try using steam.tv but i got fed up with it.

May i also point out that the audio on it isn't very good.

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

This is my main concern: If I run a stream from a cable modem or fios provider to the website, and there are let's say 200 people on, wouldn't that pretty much choke the internet connection that's being used for the camera? I was wondering if there's some way to have the stream go to my web host and then maybe have people use their bandwidth. Kind of like streaming to Justin.tv where they act as the middle man so that your bandwidth isn't used up when more than one person is watching the stream.