Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TampaNative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
I am looking for advice before buying an Apple TV or any other digital player. I want to stream video and web content to my TV. I also would like to view DivX and QuickTime videos. Does Apple TV do that? I can do this wired but it is a pain. I have a wireless network and would like to use it.

If it doesn't do it, does anyone know of a wireless digital player that does and also works with a Mac.

Thanks,

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
You can wirelessly connect any share that contains your itunes library.

In order to stream from a network drive (not containig your itunes library) and to watch divx, you need to hack your ATV.

No big deal, though.
PM me for more info.

mikecham

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Streaming with Apple TV

I have been playing with the Apple TV for a while now. At first I considered hacking the ATV but after experimenting I can see no reason to do this. Yes you have to stream using a computer running iTunes but this can be Apple or Microsoft.
I found Microsoft Vista better than my iMac - that will bother you all !!! I simply use an external Hard Drive (750GB) and change my iTunes Music folder location to the external drive.
As for streaming,with an ethernet cable connection or PowerLink ( I used a Netgear HDX101) it is excellent. Wireless can be problematic and depends on several factors,mainly the wireless router/distance plus obstructions-walls etc. However it can be done. I am now streaming wireless using a D-Link Router about 30 metres away throught two concrete ceilings and several walls. It operates as well as hard wired and a movie (Handbrake - Apple TV-settings with AC3 sound) opens in about 5 secs and streams without any problems.
The Apple TV is an excellent product but is flawed mainly in that it sees itself as a server and can't be put to sleep when not in use. It's only basically a mac-mini .
But my main gripe is encoding material.
I find that DVDFab which rips and encodes material is up to 4 or 5 times faster than HandBrake (for same processor speed) but it is Microsoft only - no Mac version and yes it uses AC3 or AAC. But I rip main movie only from DVD first and then encode it later. (For obvious reasons!!)
I need help in the best settings to use , resolution,bit rates etc. and would appreciate some answers here - I play movies on a HD 42" plasma or HD Projector -720P or 1080i.
As for quality I can see no difference from using an HD DVD Player with same settings.
Again help with the best encoding settings would be appreciated - quality not file size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.