Streaming Webcam Hardware/Software

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sinktip, Feb 1, 2016.

1. sinktip macrumors member

I have an amazing location for a webcam. My office looks out on one of the most popular beaches in Canada, White Rock Beach. My particular location looks directly down at the historic White Rock pier.
    I would like to set up a webcam so I can enjoy the view even when I am away from my office.
    I have attempted to set up the cam using a hand me down Vista PC Toshiba laptop and a Logitech Quick Cam. Nothing but hassles, and still it does not work.
    I live a Mac ecosystem and trying to configure this machine made me fully remember why I switched to Mac in the first place.
    I have high speed internet and unlimited bandwidth and would like to run medium resolution images. I plan to have a static html 3 web page hosted on my shared server. Simple as can be.
    I am willing to buy a dedicated computer and cam for this project - I was wondering what hardware spec should I be looking for for the macbook and the cam.
    What is recommended software to encode and stream?
    I also have a Chromebook that was given to me s an option as well.
    Thanks,
    Grant
    White Rock, BC

2. sinktip thread starter macrumors member

Just thought I'd give this a bump if anyone has an opinion or advise. Thanks

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Does it need to be that complicated ? I have 4 casual surveillance web cams in my holiday home in Thailand that just stream via a wireless connection (no PC/Laptop) to any browser. I'm sure for a small fee I can have it as a constant stream via a dedicated IP address/server.

4. in Cider macrumors member

in Cider

I've set up similar systems in the past on apache/linux, and they were a pain to keep up, with little additional benefit over other options.

If I needed that capability again, I would embrace one of the cloud based solutions that handle most of it for you, some even support ddns so you can easily access your camera though your own domain.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes I think that sums up my solution/system