Streamlining Mail/GMail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DAbrams, Feb 25, 2008.

1. DAbrams macrumors newbie

Just got my iMac 10 days ago, tried briefly to sync Mail with my GMail account, but it did not sync up my newest e-mails, and, for some unknown reason, deleted the last two months e-mails from my GMail account.

As of right now I do not use Mail at all. Is it something I should bother using, or would it be better to just log in to Gmail every time?

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Mail is a great way to manage your email and it's a lot easier than using a web based format.

I don't have a google email account so can't help with any of the specifics though.

3. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

Mail is really great to manage your emails. Especially using Smart Folders is a big productivity boost for me.

You have 2 ways of accessing your GMail account in Mail. POP and IMAP.
    POP downloads all your emails to your Mac. This might delete them - according to your settings - from the GMail server. The advantage of this is, that you have your emails in your Mail Inbox all the time - even offline.

IMAP on the other hand makes Mail a "viewer" for your GMail emails. Every change you make in Mail (e.g. delete a mail) is instantly reflected on your GMail account (given you're online).
    The main advantage is that you can log in from any machine to your web based gmail and have all the changes you made in Mail already reflect on your GMail account. So you don't have to go over messages again, that you have already read in Apple Mail.

Hope this was helpful!

/Rupert

4. tngisaga macrumors member

I've been using Mail to manage my Gmail account for some time now. Did you follow the instructions to set up Mail on the Google website? This is the website I used to set up Mail:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77663

IMAP is the one you want to use if you want your Mail inbox and web email to be in sync. Hopefully everything works out. Good luck.

5. MYRZ macrumors member

what if i want to report a mail as spam, as i normally do in Gmail. Is this possible in Mail aswell with imapi?

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

Adding an IMAP account gives you a list of directories in Mail with the standard folders of
    * All mail
    * Drafts
    * Sent Mail
    * Spam
    * Starred
    * Trash

If you move a (junk) message to the Spam folder of your IMAP GMail account, it gets marked as Spam by Google.
    See this support document of Google for further reference.

/Rupert

7. DAbrams thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses! This site seems to be filled with members who really know their sh*t!

However, I still have one question: is there any way for Mail to check for new messages without running in the dock, or do I have to keep it running at all times?

Thanks again for all the help!

8. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Please read this post at mackindergarten.com. Basically it's about Dashboard, but in the part "Installing a Widget" I explain how to setup a GMail widget, allowing you to see your inbox right from the Dashboard.

/Rupert

9. Sir Tony macrumors member