Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Hello guys.

There is this local street photography contest in my neighborhood..
As i'm an amateur, thats pretty new in photography, any advice would be most appreciated.
I have a Canon Xsi with the kit lense and a nifty fifty.
(What lens is better to use?)

"Photographers will capture Hamra street with their lenses and present it the way they see it; this can be empty streets at night, crowded streets at noon, coffee shops’ life in the afternoons, Street faces we are used to see, landmarks, black and white impressions, etc… The purpose is to gather as many images as we can and from as many unique perspectives as possible on how people see, feel and live this Controversial street in the heart of Beirut."

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Sounds like its all about interpretation, the way you see a city is very different to someone else. I did some street photos about a year ago for A level photography on B&W film, fully manual.
Examples here -> go on photosets -> urban

I would use the kit lens as you don't really know what your shooting and its more flexible.

If I were you I'd go out there for a day, live it watch people and scout locations (a bit), whilst taking photos. Go home, review them, edit a few and see what works and what doesn't, these photos should give you some inspiration and direction on where you want to take this project next. Then when you have some ideas, go out and shoot again :)

Good luck and let us see the results please!
Luke

uuaschbaer

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Exciting, street photography. I'm not a photographer but as you'll likely be photographing people, timing will be of essence. Might not be ill-advised to go out on a sunny time of the day, that may allow you to use short shutter speeds. It's often fun to see someone in your picture looking directly at you with suspicion. So wear a mouth guard, those handbags have impact.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I want to do more of this sort of photography so ill be looking forward to seeing what you create

Sorry forgot to add a link to my examples in my last post. added the link now -> go on photosets -> urban

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
thought I should add that street photography is typically shot with wide or normal focal lengths (~17-35mm on your camera) and stopped down to around f/5.6 or f/8. this helps bring the viewer into the scene - first because the wider focal length forces you to be close, and second because stopping down keeps the environment in focus rather than completely obliterating it. of course, this doesn't mean you should avoid other settings.

and make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/500. 1/1000 is better.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Thanks! thats very helpful!!

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. But I just wanted to post and say that that looks like a pretty cool street! And that wherever you are in the world, some things never change!

hamra_street_beirut_lebanon_photo_gov.jpg

^ The first result on google images for 'Hamra Street'.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Hey guys :) So here are a couple of my shots.
What do you think?

4153587074_ac4af202c2_o.jpg

4153587534_813455e680_o.jpg

4153587800_3e96144bde_o.jpg

4153588106_8b2df32247_o.jpg

4152826361_16c04f983d_o.jpg

4153588258_421161fec4_o.jpg

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
hey :)
read through this thread, very interesting :)
i really liked your images, i am surprised what you could do with the kit lens and nifty fifty :D i have those two as well, along with a 70-300! anyway...

i really liked the PP on the images, i know its just the PP but i think the colours and tones are excellent, they really make the image alot more alive...
i also like the way how you have manipulated the image with depth of field, i think you have used it really well, and personally, to me captured some excellent images of a city - i especially liked the one of teh side of the car with the man out of focus on the background, very nice on the eye as it leads across the image :D

these are some brilliant images, no go see what else you can do :) (not saying these are bad, just saying if this is what you can do, go do some more and see what you come up with :) ) also, seeing as you have the ol nifty fifty, trying some night shooting perhaps? i think you could come out with some excellent results, especially seeing as that lens would be ideal for night shooting!

But hey, what would i know, im just an amateur :D
good luck! :

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
they'd look a lot better without that silly watermark.

the first thing you need to get over is the fear that someone is going to steal your photos and sell them for millions of dollars. Ditch the watermark, dont even use a small one. watermarks are distracting and ruin the photo.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
they'd look a lot better without that silly watermark.

the first thing you need to get over is the fear that someone is going to steal your photos and sell them for millions of dollars. Ditch the watermark, dont even use a small one. watermarks are distracting and ruin the photo.

too right!
not sure if you were doing that when you post here, but dont enter them like that! and theres no need anyway, many people dont watermark here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.