Street view

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Badrottie, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Do you miss Street View? Google Map has one but none on Apple Map. Street View helped me a lot I know Apple can't steal it from Google. :apple:

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I find "fly over" a lot more useful.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What's the coverage like for the UK?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. Just simply tapping the orange man to quick and auto zoom right to see the shop front was very valuable. It sucks around town without.

5. MonkeySee...., Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Pretty bad where I am to be honest. I'm down the south.

Its great having a bird-eye-view of where you're going though.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That doesn't sound very promising for those of us north of Watford. :(

7. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I liked street view as well, but tbh I only really ever used it on my laptop and not on my iPhone anyway. It can be very useful at times, though.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm hoping there is a switch they will flip that will give us most of it. London isn't even showing up so they must have a reserve of maps waiting.

9. jackal123uk macrumors member

Surprisingly, the only 2 UK cities with 3D flyover so far are Manchester and Birmingham

10. mactmaster macrumors 6502

Yes, street view was quite useful. Maps app will come from Google soon though and we should get street view on it. All the 3D stuff is kind of cool but not very practical.

11. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

12. NitinNike macrumors member

Suddenly I am not able to determine my current location. But earlier it was fine. I don't know what happened. Has anyone came across this situation. I am on beta 4 iPhone 4S.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

Street views can be very useful, especially for planning vacation, but I find it to be often frustrating to use. Navigation arrows are not always visible where you expect (you need to turn around to find them) and UI is even more baffling on the desktop. Hopefully, Apple will eventually get around implementing something comparable that is more usable.

14. southfrisco macrumors member

I can't wait for a Google Maps app. Street view covers way more ground than Apple Maps will and the transit information is valuable. Also, the flyover view in Apple Maps may only be available for certain major cities. Meaning rural and suburban areas will have the horrific birds eye 3D view of flat buildings. Who is to say Apple will even cover the globe with their 3D view? Did they say that in the keynote?

I find it much more useful to see an area on ground level (actually seeing the faces of buildings) rather than a helicopter view of things. Sure it looks pretty but it isn't very functional since we travel at ground level and not in the air, unless Apple is way ahead of its time and sees flying cars as our future.

15. Purant macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm hoping for a kickass google maps app as well. Especially since Apple maps coverage outside of the US seems to be pretty bad for now.

16. Strang0r macrumors member

Strang0r

I've been using ifindview for Street view while running the beta. it isn't perfect but it does what I need...

17. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I've been using 'avenue see' as well

18. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

This is fantastic, thank you very much for posting it. I was worried about losing Google Street View when I upgraded to iOS 6 & before the official Google app is launched.

This seems to be an adequate replacement until that time.

:)