Streetview in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheetah007, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cheetah007 macrumors newbie

Does it work?

if not...anyone know when it will be available?

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I don't think street view is available to the UK yet. However, I don't know when It will become available.

3. andy317 macrumors member

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

streetview works as long as you don't mind looking at streets in France, the US, Australia or Japan
    basically, there is no actual street view data in the uk, but when there is, we won't need another update to enable it

also, google tried to start getting the data, but were blocked here because of privacy issues. i think this is now resolved, so its up to google to start gathering data

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

wonder if we will need an update to show it in miles instead of km

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

readign around the net, the uk version of street view is 'imminent'...but who knows. Google cars were seen around summer. I expect major city's like London, Manchester, Birmingham to be done but not much else. In fact, i reckon we'll only get london zones 1-3 enabled first! :s

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

I have and my dad has seen the google camera cars around once or twice ..... they only just got clearance from the EU to start doing it plus they have to mask all identifiable faces in the images so it will be slower to get around but it is happening

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Bristol's been done, google camera cars have been spotted (a few months ago now) and complained about in the local press :rolleyes:
    There's loads of cities in spain on streetview.

look at the street view coverage in Australia! even the desert roads in between cities have been done!

9. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Cool, if little places like bristol has been done that's a good sign ;) (kidding mate)

Good point - deserts have no faces so it's pretty easy to do.

God Bless google.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

THe Register (theregister.co.uk) has an ongoing map using google maps showing sightings http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/09/street_view_update/
    (there are other maps showing other places a picture of the cars have been taken)

A lot of the cities have been covered, but we're waiting on Google to get it ok'd the data crunched and put out. afaik, London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.
    (e.g. London was 4 months or so back and they might have been taking pictures previously).

11. bustermac macrumors newbie

Actually saw a google car in Chadwell Heath, RM5 today.

Will have to see if I make it on there.

12. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Any predictions/guesses on streetview debuting for us gloomy UK users? :)

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

have you guys seen this? Looks like google were beaten to it years ago...or maybe these guys invented streetview before google?

http://www.seety.co.uk/