Streetview What gives?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macfan881, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

so i do have to say the update came out tonight downloaded it i still think its a great update but im really disapointed about the streetview i mean im trying to figure out why it cant be on a ipod touch and the iphone. i really hope this is just a screw up and apple puts out a hotfix next week.

on the other hand i do like the faster safari Autocorrection off ftw and the homebutton thing is pretty slick to id give this update a 7/10 it would have been a 10 if it had the streetview mode in

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll mention it here too. From the release notes:

No mention of iPod Touch. so why should it have it?

EDIT: I shouldn't have been so hasty, so let me ask this. Was a software update issued for the iPod Touch? I only knew of one for the iPhone.

BL.

3. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Say what? I didn't hear about any home button related update. What's different?

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Oh, I see! When you push the home button it goes to the 1st page of apps! Very clever indeed!

5. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Homebutton, if your on whatever page of your homescreen, hit the home button and it will send you back to page one of the Homescreen. No need to swipe back to it, I like it :D

Curse my slow typing lol!

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i am pretty sure they didnt leave street view out by mistake. this was a deliberate decision by apple to not include one of the supposed main features of the update in the ipod touch firmware.

www.apple.com/feedback and let them know

7. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

well in the past pretty much all features have been previewed on the iphone have been on the touch in one way or another and i think its stupid if its only for iphone users that have it when the ipod touch users have google maps on theres too

8. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

They'll offer it for $$$ right after Christmas like last year. Then all of the thousands of new iPod Touch owners will have no choice but to give an extra $10-20 to make up for black friday deals.

Apple can be evil sometimes... Just like pickles.

9. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i dont understand why though. now the iphone and the ipod touch should be the same since apple no longer receives revenue sharing from at&t. so now there is no reason to treat the ipod touch differently than the iphone because the iphone no longer brings in any more additional money after the initial sale just like the ipod touch.

10. darkmeton macrumors member

The only logical guess is that apple thought that you will use street view and public transport when you are on the road. And most likely with your ipod, you won't find a wifi spot to gain access to the internet.. Whereas with iphone you have 3G so street view actually comes handy..

On the other hand what are a couple MBytes more in the ipod touch update??

11. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

what if you were sitting at a starbucks or another one of the places where at&t has wifi and needed to go somewhere? walking directions, public transportation and street view would all come in handy. its just a blantant move to milk money out of people. there is no good reason for it not to be in the update.

12. M. Poirot macrumors member

This is actually quite annoying. Like a previous poster said, I could be sitting in a cafe with WiFi or at home planning a trip and street view and a better Google Maps would be ideal.....but no joy.
    I have to say though that i could literally count on one hand the number of times I have used Google Maps on my iPod touch. It's slow and not the best.
    Perhaps the bods at Google will include Streetview in their free Google Earth app? Seems an ideal opportunity for Google to say,

"Don't worry about Apple forgetting you guys with iPod touch's, we've recognised you're as worthy of this function as iPhone users. Your paying for software updates over the years has probably paid for Apple to develop this function for iPhone users. Here, have an improved Google Earth app that works better and is still free"

Now that would really make Apple sour and wake up! Mr Jobs? The Apple has fallen far from the tree this time.

13. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

All google stuff is free, how can apple charge for it?

Yay I left feedback! I opted not to upgrade since they didn't include the updates I looking forward too (street maps). I am going to jailbreak instead today.