Strength training and apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lasniko, Dec 14, 2018.

1. lasniko macrumors member

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I’m using Strong app which works completely with the watch. I like the convenience of it. There are a few other good ones too.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’ve just been using the default workout app with other workout selected. Not sure how accurate it is though. Guessing it detects the heart rate elevation and tries to calculate calorie burn. That’s it.

4. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

Try Gymatic. It does a decent job recognizing exercise and reps, but you'll still have to input a lot of the info on the watch. Definitely a work in progress.

On another topic, Series 4 is the first Apple Watch series that I trust quite well with HR via the Optical HR sensor vs a chest monitor. Very little lag if at all.

5. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

THe kind of weights I lift these days don’t necessitate serious tracking so.I just use the built-in strength workout type. I assume it would get the same results if I used the Yoga workout instead.

Some Garmin devices attempt to track sets / reps. It’s not a magic thing and requires editing. It’s pretty good for something like a bench press or dead lift, less so with dumbbells.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is exactly why I just use the workout app. Can’t be arsed to update set by set. I’ve been working out for years so tracking is not something I need to do on a regular basis. The requirement of admin alone will make it unusable for me. Too much effort for little gain for me. I’d rather focus and workout at that time.

7. bluespark macrumors 68000

Once you select Open Goal for strength training, it will give you an option to add a strength training button. But use a third-party app for sets/reps/rest.

8. 960design macrumors 68030

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Why don’t you try Strong? It allows you to create your routines on your iPhone. When you’re at the gym just start your routine (created on your phone) on the watch and checking your liftings off one after another. Very convenient.
    I have a couple of routines I use regularly and I don’t even have to pay for the app.