Stress test 2012 Macbook Air SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by masands, Oct 12, 2013.

1. masands macrumors regular

OK, so I have the 128gb (Toshiba SSD), Mid-2012 Macbook Air. It is 1.2 years old. Yesterday, it completely froze and I had to force-reboot it. It has never done this before.

Looking at the threads here, it appears that my SSD may be on the brink of failure. I have a 2-year warranty (Australian Consumer Law) and I have also backed up all my files.

Now, is there anyway I can do a test to check if it is going to fail soon? Any indicators that it may be failing? I need to use my Macbook for work, so I can't wait for it to fail randomly. If its going to fail, I need to know somehow.

Thanks,

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try a command-option-r (hold all three at once) boot to internet recovery. Once in the recovery screen start disk utility and do a verify disk to see if any errors are shown.

Beyond that there is not much you can do to predict failure on these. Unfortunately it is not like a hard drive where they start showing bad sectors before failure. I suspect the flash controller is just up and dying on these and that is the reason for the sudden failure.

All you can do is keep good backups and hope for the best.

3. Miltz macrumors 6502

make sure you have the firmware update installed for that drive.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

before mine died apps started freezing. then on reboot the drive started getting corrupted. i could repair it would succeed but if you scan the drive for errors again right after it would be corrupt again. then it wouldnt boot. then it wouldnt reinstall. reinstalls kept failing at the end of the install. then the drive disappeared all together. the drive completely failed at that point.