Stress test for maximum noise and heat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KasperH, Jun 23, 2011.

1. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Hi,

I'm curious, does a stress test exist for the mac platform, or is there a good benchmark that will give me an indication of how much noise and heat my mac will make when pushed to the limit?

Geekbench and novabench doesn't run long enough to trigger my fans.

On PC there are tons of this kind of applications, but i can't find any for MacOS.

br Kasper

2. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

i just tried it, and the benchmarks run for about a minute each and doesn't even get my cpu fan above 940rpm.

I can't find an option for stress testing or looping of the same tests...is there a way to do that?

3. simsaladimbamba

Or you could use Handbrake and transcode some video.

4. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

During handbrake my Cpu reaches 68c (ambient 25c) and fan speed increases to 1300rpm....still totally inaudible :)

It must be possible to make this system sweat enough to ramp up those fans.
    What about the Radeon 6970 2GB, what would be a good test for that?

I guess i could try installing WoW and se if Ultra settings at native resolution will kill it.

I have a gaming PC with an i7 2600K, and Geforce GTX 560Ti which would be quite a lot faster than my iMac's graphics setup, and that can just about handle Ultra settings at 1920x1080 at acceptable FPS, so 2560x1440 will probably be quite hard on the iMac :)

Ahh, the Cpu fan just went up to 1680rpm (and the cpu down to 64c) while i'm writing this (and still handbraking) I can hear it now, but it's not annoying yet.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

6. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

thanks, i didn't know Prime95 existed for Mac :) i've used it for many years on PC :)