Stress Tester for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I've been looking for a little while now. Something along the lines of FurMark for Windows but for Mac. Does such a software exist to stress the CPU/GPU?

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Still trying to unlock all 8 cores?

3. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yes, lol. "Stressing".

4. leman macrumors 604

Why? What is you purpose? Just watch the world burn? Start 7 Terminal sessions with cat /dev/random > /dev/null and then run the Unigine Benchmark...

P.S. BTW, there seems to be a FurMark port for OS X (http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/). Please at least TRY to use google next time.

5. Ploki macrumors 68020

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Burn-in is the only logical explanation that I can come up with, aside from just mild curiosity or boredom.

For that matter, you don't really need any specific app for CPU burn-in or "stressing", but that's been said multiple times already, both in this thread and that other one.

GPU burn-in is a wee bit more challenging (teeny tiny bit) ... but nothing that one of the latest games out there right now can't handle, provided the right graphics settings are used to beat the crap out of the hardware.

I haven't been that bored in many years, though, and when I was, I usually tinkered with Linux. Now, I don't care, as long as my crap works so I can get my other crap done, because it's all just a pile of crap anyway.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It you just redid your processor thermal paste, I'd understand all this "stress testing," but as it stands it just all feels like a waste of time.

8. ervintere macrumors newbie

i agree it,Burn-in is the only logical explanation that I can come up with, aside from just mild curiosity or boredom.[​IMG]

9. leman macrumors 604

I think the next post will be: 'I run a stress test for 2 weeks straight and now the rMBP won't turn on! Apple sux!' :D

10. Patrick Boyle macrumors member

You sound like you're in the IT industry :)

11. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Nawww... just curiosity.