Stress testing / CPU temps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fibrizo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

So I bit the bullet and got the 4gb of corsair ram... paid 1 more dollar at 54.99 because they dropped the price after lol.. so I wanted to test the ram to make sure it wouldn't crash etc. But the only good tools I've found are in windows. So I booted to windows and ran memtest86+ and I noticed the CPU get hot and the fans spun up. This piqued my interest so I installed a temp monitor and Orthos. Loaded it up and watched the temps. The fans did not spin up until the CPU topped 87C and brought it down to about 81-82C. I was wondering if the Mac OS side of temp management is better? ie the fan starts spinning up at a lower temp or anything. Is there a good CPU/mem stress app for OSX?

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

During a long install of Adobe suite on my aluminum macbook I hit those temps. I think that quite high myself. On Mac OSX I installed FanControl and have boosted the base fan speed by 400 rpm's and believe it or not it helps quite a bit. Of course that does not help the windows side of things. So until they have a better solution I will use my bootcamp install via parallels so the OSX can control the temps.