Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
OP try looking at some major businesses. Many hire for entry level positions outside of the candidates field.

For example a place near me hired 50 something programmers. The catch? Most had no programming background at all, but they hired them to train them and move them into positions.

Its a popular thing going on in a lot of places right now. A friend of mine works at a HUGE computer company (one of the biggest that everyones heard of) and they just hired a bunch of people that were bankers, insurance salesmen, etc to work in IT because they can't find enough qualified candidates.

Another option is to take a civil service test and look at state jobs. I was ecstatic when I took mine and found I scored the top score in all 10 counties I applied for jobs in, sometimes out of several hundred people. I've gotten lots of job offers since. The civil service test is generally specific to what type of job you apply for.

it's actually a newer division of Sony I've applied for... The lay offs at Sony don't involve this division though.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Just got this today from the HR recruiter:

"We are actually having final decisions made hopefully by tomorrow end of day. Stay tuned as it could be pushed out to early next week. We will be in touch!"

It's been 2 weeks... hope I get this job! I'm betting I won't hear from it until next week.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
That whole fit thing is so fallacious it's not even funny

As if you could possibly know how well somebody is going to work with other people from a 15 minute interview.

I really think managers need to be sent back to school for basic interviewing practices. I've been hearing about stuff like this more and more often.

I disagree, fit is a large factor, particularly in smaller companies.

I'm an engineer for a small but rapidly growing consulting firm; I had a network connection to get the job through someone I went to school with (5 of the 14 people in our office are from the same graduating class), but the big issue is fit. I was on a business trip last week with my boss and he said his barometer is basically a good GPA, doing well on the engineering test during the interview, and beyond that it's all about fit with the other people in the office.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I disagree, fit is a large factor, particularly in smaller companies.

I'm an engineer for a small but rapidly growing consulting firm; I had a network connection to get the job through someone I went to school with (5 of the 14 people in our office are from the same graduating class), but the big issue is fit. I was on a business trip last week with my boss and he said his barometer is basically a good GPA, doing well on the engineering test during the interview, and beyond that it's all about fit with the other people in the office.

I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it's impossible to tell from a 15 minute interview how well somebody will fit in a company. And managers don't realize this.

Your boss saying how well somebody fits =/= hiring based on that criteria. That's why he gives the engineering test, because that's what is important.

If he is hiring based on fit, well, he's practicing bad interviewing and hiring techniques. Might as well put the resumes on a board and throw a dart.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just got this today from the HR recruiter:

"We are actually having final decisions made hopefully by tomorrow end of day. Stay tuned as it could be pushed out to early next week. We will be in touch!"

It's been 2 weeks... hope I get this job! I'm betting I won't hear from it until next week.

At least it wasn't a no. If you are still being considered there is hope. Sometimes these things can take time. You never no what else the company is having to deal with at the time.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it's impossible to tell from a 15 minute interview how well somebody will fit in a company. And managers don't realize this.

Your boss saying how well somebody fits =/= hiring based on that criteria. That's why he gives the engineering test, because that's what is important.

If he is hiring based on fit, well, he's practicing bad interviewing and hiring techniques. Might as well put the resumes on a board and throw a dart.

Keep in mind though, most jobs outside of being a cashier at the grocery store require more than a 15 minute interview. My initial interview was 3 hours, with three different people.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
At least it wasn't a no. If you are still being considered there is hope. Sometimes these things can take time. You never no what else the company is having to deal with at the time.

Yeah I guess they're just taking their time. At least I can remain hopeful. Wish me luck.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Chill out, and don't look desperate.
I totally understand the desperation and desire to stop doing the same thing over a over. Most of the times you don't get good feedback unless they really like you. By this I mean, that if there is something bothering them to make the decision, they will not tell you, because it might sound like "discrimination".

Take this time to focus on the negotiation, you have to be ready if they make you an offer. Never accept the first offer, don't say NO, but YES IF...and your conditions, always ask for more.
Get ready to master the art of negotiation: good salary, vacation time and benefits.
After having your regular paycheck, it will be the same for many months to come, and you will like to have some free time to enjoy with your family, and if you don;t get a good deal, you will feel like a slave working and working and not happy anymore.
Really understand what amount of money you will having after all the deductions, as it will never be enough.
Research, research and be the last one to talk about money.

If this one doesn't go through have your plan B in place now.
What other companies could be better?
What would be your dream job? Think about it, and aim for it.

Also always consider, that if you are not selected at this moment, something can happen in the near future and you could be considered for future openings.
Things change over time, and most of the times the first chosen candidates get promoted, want to be replicated, or are a total disaster, and the same position gets open, or something similar or better happens.
If you show too much excitement, there is the possibility that they will not give you all the money you deserve, good human resources goal is to get the best candidates for the lowest market value.

And for your network, don't; ask for help to get a job, unless you are really close to them. Ask for

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Chill out, and don't look desperate.
I totally understand the desperation and desire to stop doing the same thing over a over. Most of the times you don't get good feedback unless they really like you. By this I mean, that if there is something bothering them to make the decision, they will not tell you, because it might sound like "discrimination".

Take this time to focus on the negotiation, you have to be ready if they make you an offer. Never accept the first offer, don't say NO, but YES IF...and your conditions, always ask for more.
Get ready to master the art of negotiation: good salary, vacation time and benefits.
After having your regular paycheck, it will be the same for many months to come, and you will like to have some free time to enjoy with your family, and if you don;t get a good deal, you will feel like a slave working and working and not happy anymore.
Really understand what amount of money you will having after all the deductions, as it will never be enough.
Research, research and be the last one to talk about money.

If this one doesn't go through have your plan B in place now.
What other companies could be better?
What would be your dream job? Think about it, and aim for it.

Also always consider, that if you are not selected at this moment, something can happen in the near future and you could be considered for future openings.
Things change over time, and most of the times the first chosen candidates get promoted, want to be replicated, or are a total disaster, and the same position gets open, or something similar or better happens.
If you show too much excitement, there is the possibility that they will not give you all the money you deserve, good human resources goal is to get the best candidates for the lowest market value.

And for your network, don't; ask for help to get a job, unless you are really close to them. Ask for

Thanks for the advice. I will keep these things in mind!

----------

Can't offer much help in the job area seeing as I know nothing about you, but I can't help but ask, what do you mean by crack?

Lose my mind in frustration. Seems like an endless game, this trying to get a job. Originally I wrote "leap off of my balcony" but that'll be taken the wrong way here.

katt

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
right now in HK
well you can always try to find another job if you didn't get it. maybe it's not for you.. but if you're going to get it, then that's good :D

anyway, about looking for a job.. you can ask some of your friends to help you find for a job or you can also do research online. don't loose hope! all you need is courage and patience :)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Well it's now past "early next week" since last Thursday and still heard nothing. This is seriously the longest I have waited for the decision on a job. Still keeping hope though but I've been applying to other places.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Well it's now past "early next week" since last Thursday and still heard nothing. This is seriously the longest I have waited for the decision on a job. Still keeping hope though but I've been applying to other places.
Follow Up, call them, send email, keep looking interested, some companies are slower than others to hire people.
Use LinkedIn, contact someone inside who can act as your friend and find out internally what is going on.

felixgun

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
Just hang in there bud. I graduated in Management Information Systems in 2009 and it took me almost a year to find a full time in I.T. Like someone said in one of the above posts, companies are hiring ON THE CHEAP. I ended up finally getting a job as a sys admin making a measly 34k a year when the average sys admin salary in the US is much higher then that. After almost 2 years, empty promises on promotions, and nothing to look forward to, I totally switched careers and now work in the field for an oil & gas service company and moved from Louisiana to Colorado. It was scary changing career paths into a whole new field but I now make 3-4x what I made before and have a lot more room to "grow" in this company. Starting your career is stressful but eventually everything will fall into place. Just be patient and test the waters. Good luck man.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Follow Up, call them, send email, keep looking interested, some companies are slower than others to hire people.
Use LinkedIn, contact someone inside who can act as your friend and find out internally what is going on.

I guess I missed an update last week... on Thursday 4/26 I contacted HR to see if there was an update. They told me "either tomorrow by end of day or expect early next week. We'll be in touch."

So it's now a full week since that email from HR (whom doesn't have direct contact with the group I've applied for they're about a 1/2 mile away from each other on different campuses)

I don't want to come off too "needy" by bugging HR every week about the same thing. I'll email them around end of day tomorrow.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

EDIT: Nope didn't miss the update... just saw it above.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I guess I missed an update last week... on Thursday 4/26 I contacted HR to see if there was an update. They told me "either tomorrow by end of day or expect early next week. We'll be in touch."

So it's now a full week since that email from HR (whom doesn't have direct contact with the group I've applied for they're about a 1/2 mile away from each other on different campuses)

I don't want to come off too "needy" by bugging HR every week about the same thing. I'll email them around end of day tomorrow.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Once a week is fine. It would be the daily stuff that would cross the line but once a week is complete and 100% fine. Heck I think that is great thing to do. It not needy and it keeps you on their mind. It shows you really want the job.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Once a week is fine. It would be the daily stuff that would cross the line but once a week is complete and 100% fine. Heck I think that is great thing to do. It not needy and it keeps you on their mind. It shows you really want the job.

Cool thanks!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Exactly. Keep on showing interest, and not becoming annoying. Persistence is also something that any employer value.
Can you contact the hiring manager?
If not, then for the next interview you have, a key thing is at the end of the interview ask for their contact information to be able to follow up properly.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Exactly. Keep on showing interest, and not becoming annoying. Persistence is also something that any employer value.
Can you contact the hiring manager?
If not, then for the next interview you have, a key thing is at the end of the interview ask for their contact information to be able to follow up properly.

I CAN but was told by them NOT to. If I wanted updates I was told to go through the HR recruiter specifically.

Any suggestions? I had gotten both Director level managers emails as they met with me on the first interview. Emailed a thank you to them both (no reply) and I emailed the one I would directly report to if I were to get hired after the 2nd interview to forward a thank you to the rest of the team I met with on the 2nd interview.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I CAN but was told by them NOT to. If I wanted updates I was told to go through the HR recruiter specifically.

You say "HR recruiter," many of us hear "dead end."

Experienced job hunters know it's the hiring manager that makes the decisions. HR is simply a mouthpiece.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Experienced job hunters know it's the hiring manager that makes the decisions. HR is simply a mouthpiece.

But what do you do when they say go through HR from the start? I made it to the 2nd interview via the HR Recruiter.

----------

If I were to email the hiring manager who told me not to email him from the first interview... what should I say?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
My wife brought up a good point... at this point, if I WASN'T their top choice, the top choice might have taken another job somewhere else by now... :p

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
A couple of things:
- HR are more human than resources, and if they are pretty busy with other activities, for them it is just another pending task
- You have to be comfortable to talk with your future manager anytime
Think very well what you will say and be respectful.
If I were in your case I will try to deal directly with the hiring manager.
Call tomorrow.
Excuse you first for not following his/her instructions but be clear that your intention is to let him/her know that you are still very interested in helping him achieve the goals.
Be polite and if it is not a good time, it will be very clear from their side.
Practice with this and it will get right soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.