Stretch out a song (make it SLOWER)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TyWahn, Aug 25, 2010.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I wanted to mess around stretching out a song like the supposed Justin Bieber song that's all over the web.
    Can you do this with Garage Band or Quicktime? I tired importing a song into GarageBand but I can't figure out how to make it longer (or slower).

Thanks.

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I use Audacity to do this. It's free and does a nice job.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Garageband and Quicktime don't have slow down capabilities, as said, Audacity can do it, and it doesn't do a bad job. Post your results if you can, I heard the Bieber mix was like 30 minutes long? Crazy, but I guess it was slowed down 200 times.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Audacity is your best bet. It has a ton of features, it's free, and it's super simple to use.

5. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Thanks

Thanks, I will try that.
    That Beiber song is actually 34 minutes long, so it's 8x slower (4 min originally).
    It sounds really, really trippy. I listened to the whole thing and actually liked it. I've also read now that it's not even Beiber's "U Smile," but another song.. I think it was on cnn.com.
    Anyway, thanks for the help. I will post results as soon as I get them.

6. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Hangs

I tried slowing a song with Audacity and it just hangs on my computer. I tried it first with an AAC file ... didn't work, so I tried it on a AIFF and now it is just spinning. Happned on both of my computers.. 2.66 iMac and a 2.4 MBP. Both have 4 GB RAM.
    I don't know what I am doing wrong with it.
    Anybody actually get it to work? What format? mp3, AIFF, WAV?
    Thanks

edit: I guess I was asking too much of my computers all at once. I tried just sections of a song and it worked better. Didnt sound great, but it worked. I also put in the Bieber song and sped it up in Audacity and confirmed it really is his song. Sounds WAY better SLOW.
    I also found a Mac port of Paul's Extreme Stretch, which produces higher quality outputs and can stretch far beyond what Audacity can do. Free as well.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah slowing a AIFF song wouldn't have achieved anything if it was struggling with an AAC :p

Glad you got it sorted it the end.