iPhone X Stretching battery life to a full week

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poki, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

I'm planning a backpacking trip in August and since I want to pack as light as possible, I wonder how often I will have to charge an iPhone X to determine how large of a power bank I need to bring with me. Seems like Apple doesn't state any standby battery life data on their website, so do you think it's possible to stretch a single charge to a full week of use with the following use scenario each day:

• Listening to music through wired In-Ears for four hours (80% volume)
    • Using the screen for 30 minutes (this includes choosing and switching between music) – the heaviest app used would be Google Maps (with downloaded maps used offline)
    • Having the phone on airplane mode for all but ten minutes a day
    • Bluetooth might be active for a few hours to sync with my Apple Watch
    • Using the power saving mode all the time

2. niji Contributor

niji

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Nothing like getting away from everything and enjoying nature.

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I kinda don’t see your point here. Could you elaborate it a bit? Thanks. :)

5. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68020

Freakonomics101

Are you able to get a battery pack? Walmart has a 10,000 mAh battery pack for under $20 and it works really well.

6. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

I'm not sure whether this is the best weight to capacity ration out there – my Xiaomi one weighs 212g with a capacity of 10,000 mAh. But I'll definitely look around the web for lighter options, so thanks for your suggestion!

Yep, looking forward to that trip a lot! It's about time I get away from the office life.

I do already have a Xiaomi one with 10,000 mAh capacity, but if possible, I'd like to get a smaller and lighter (thous also lower capacity) one to save weight.

7. now i see it macrumors 68040

Without a battery pack, I could see one day of that described usage draining the battery completely.

Since a battery pack can't supply 100% of its capacity to another battery due to charging losses, I'd plan on getting a battery pack with at least 1.5X the power you're going to suck out of your iPhone each day for the entire trip.

For example:
    If your iPhone X has a battery capacity of 2600 mAh, you'd need a 3800 mAh battery pack to ensure a full charge w a little extra left over.

Multiply that by the number of days you're planning your trip.

If you use any mapping software- it'll drain the battery really fast.

8. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

20 minutes offline use + 10 minutes online use + 4 hours music via wired headphones will drain the battery of the iPhone X completely? If that's the case, Apple screwed up pretty bad.

9. chabig macrumors 603

You're going backpacking. Forget about listening to music and just enjoy nature.

10. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

I don't think there's anything wrong about listening to some of your favorite music a few hours a day – listening to the right track at the right moment can be very enjoyable, I think. But yes, I agree with you that enjoying nature is the important part, so that's what I'll be doing the majority of the time. ;)

11. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

The new Anker 10000mah is the way to go. Better safe then sorry. 6 ounces won’t break ur back.

Anker PowerCore 10000, One of The Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Batteries, Ultra-Compact Portable Charger, High-Speed Charging Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8egpDbWEBZW74

If you had the iPhone XR your battery would last longer. Given an iPhone X I would say you should last at least 2 days per charge.

When you refill the best way is to charge your iPhone up to 80%. Avoid Bluetooth!

All power banks are less than 100% efficient so 10000mah is more like 3 charges. 6000mah might be less than 2 charges.

So a 10000mah bank should allow you to go 8 days without sweating or desperate measures.

12. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Bring 4 of that huge-ass battery pack and leave them in your backpack.

13. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

That's almost a full kilogram worth of weight to carry around all day – in addition to the backpack, tent, sleeping bag, water and so on – at that point, I'd rather just leave the phone at home alltogether.