Strict NAT

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SwitchAwes, Oct 23, 2011.

1. SwitchAwes, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

SwitchAwes macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me on how to switch my NAT rating from Strict to Open for the Xbox 360 console/Mac OS X?

2. 100Teraflops, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I have problems dating back to Modern Warfare 2 regarding the strict NAT setting. I have experimented and have discovered two methods which are quick fixes, hence they work around the problem.

1. Bypass your wireless router, if you are using one. Run a cable from your modem and connect it directly to your 360. The tradeoff is you will not have a wireless connection and you might have to disconnect the cables from your wireless router and your 360 frequently.

2. Buy a multiple port cable/DSL broadband router (I have a Trendnet). I bought it at Microcenter for $10, but your mileage may vary. Furthermore, you can connect your 360 to the multiple port router, connect your multiple port router to your wireless router and connect the wireless router to your modem, hence I have an open NAT. I hope this isn't confusing. :p Do not ask me why this works, but it does. I have had two different wireless routers and I had to 'adapt and overcome' to the same problem with both routers. Both were wireless by the way.

I called my router manufacturer and to no avail they were unable to provide a remedy let alone a fix for my problem. They blamed my firewall settings and other computer equipment not pertaining to their router. You can try to call your router manufacturer, as they may be able to help you, mine did not.

Also, in the future provide all of your current equipment, so other forum members can narrow down your problem or problems. Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: I have no idea if my methods will work if you have your 360 connected to a Mac.

3. SwitchAwes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you 100Teraflops, I am grateful for your reply. However, I am still in the process of completing your steps to get Open NAT settings. I also hope that it works, thank you again.

4. o0StatiK macrumors newbie