Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me establish whether there's a way to strip the DRM off films as I'd like to be able to play my purchases on my new Android phone while I'm out and about which at this current moment I cannot do.

I know that a while ago there was a program called 'Requiem' however that no longer works. Is there a similar program that isn't TuneKit or a converter?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me establish whether there's a way to strip the DRM off films as I'd like to be able to play my purchases on my new Android phone while I'm out and about which at this current moment I cannot do.

I know that a while ago there was a program called 'Requiem' however that no longer works. Is there a similar program that isn't TuneKit or a converter?

The first step is to figure out what the DRM is. There are different types of DRM, applied by different companies. It depends on where you got the files.

Once you figure out the type of DRM - I'm sure you can find a tool with some Googling and a willingness to read and learn.

catskinsox

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Hi all,

M4VGear works pretty well. It's very similar to Tuneskit, as both strip DRM instead of re-encoding or whatever some of the others do. I have both, as Tuneskit has some trouble with certain movies, and M4VGear has trouble with certain movies. But on the whole, it works well. The only issue is the subtitles are in that weird format that only Apple seems to use. You can use CCExtractor to convert them to srt format, but sometimes they don't work quite right or the timing gets off a bit.

Also, Requiem does still work, but only with iTunes 10.7 or earlier. So if you have some old computer around, and want to use an old version of iTunes on it, you can use Requiem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.