Striped raid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by napolean hill, Nov 10, 2013.

1. napolean hill macrumors member

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster, love this forum so i finally signed up. Ok enough of that, so recently i upgraded my late 2012 macbook pro 15 inch to 16 gb ram, 256 samsung 840 pro ssd and put the regular hdd in the optical bay. Just recently saw a video of someone doing striped raid which is adding another 840 pro and setting it up in disk utility that way, Question is have any of you out there done this? Is it worth the time and effort to take it apart again? I'm not worried about the extra chance of data loss because i back everything up anyway and use cloud storage. I'm getting over 500 read and write speeds now but i think id just like it to be twice as fast as the newer retina so to justify me not having to upgrade again lol. Thanks in advance

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Someone correct me if I am wrong but aren't you close to saturating the Sata-III interface with the 840 as it is? I'm not sure you will double the speeds with that interface...

3. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm i don't know, these are the little questions I'm trying to get a definitive answer on before i start ripping things apart only to have to put it back together. Thats a good point you make, hopefully someones got some firsthand insight?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you'll be seeing much improvements since SSDs don't have the same level of latency that hard drives have.

5. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

I believe the only problem arises in older models that have sata 2 and data 3, the late 2012 which i have has sata 3 and 3. I could be wrong though, although the guy i saw in the video had an older one, ill see if i can put a link up.

----------

I'm going to link a video i saw this guy do on youtube, see what you think maflynn, appreciate the opinion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnxSHpUI8Ss

----------

If you see at the end of the video he had something like 800 and 900 read and write speeds if I'm not mistaken.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not saying you'll not see an improvement but I am saying it's benefit is nota s pronounced. I could be wrong.

You also need to consider risk vs. reward. You lose all your data if something happens with one volume. I personally would not setup a RAID 0 implementation w/o a rock solid back up strategy.

7. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

Yea thats definitely a good point that i already took into consideration, i back up to an external and i also use cloud storage as well. But that is a good point, i think a lot of people don't realize that when configuring raid 0

8. Quackers macrumors 6502a

You won't see twice the speed - nothing like it.
    You should also make sure that your backup/restore regime will actually work with a raid setup. Some won't restore.
    I had a Sony Vaio that came with a raid setup as standard. In the end I ditched the raid and used the double discs for more storage.
    The speed difference was minimal.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In the past some patches from Apple wouldn't work. I had set up a stripped array on my Mac Pro back in the day and found some firmware patches wouldn't work because of the RAID 0 setup.

I don't know if that is still the case, it was a few years ago but something to research

10. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I would propose that you might even see a performance hit. The striping is handled in the Operating System. So you would be introducing processing latency.

I am also not a big fan of the platter drive in the optical bay option. I used to run that way and learned the hard way that the heat from the platter drive eventually wears down the connection wire shielding. If you go the path of two SSD's great, if not, I highly recommend switching their positions. Of course, assuming you have the 6Gb/6Gb model

11. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

what do you mean by the platter drive? I have my original 500gb hdd in the optical right now and the 256 840 pro in the original position.. Are you saying having the 500gb hdd in the optical will ruin my macbook? I actually don't even use it, i have zero data on the hdd, i just switched it out for fun of it i guess.

----------

hmmm good info again, i was thinking that might be a problem as well.

----------

good to know thanks quackers for all that info.

12. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

A newer Retina MacBook (or MacBook Air) is about as fast as two SSDs in RAID0 ±.

13. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

damnit! lol

----------

Im not to sure about that though, whats the read and write speed on the new retinas? The samsung 840 pro is the fastest ssd I've seen, its faster than my stock retina and its also faster than my 27 inch iMac i have the 768 ssd in that.

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

15. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

I think were referencing the wrong thing guily. I just speed tested two of my friends read and write speeds on their new 2013 retinas with a 2.8 ghz processor and their both getting around 380/480 read and write speeds. Plust the size of the drive has no effect on the speed of the drive just the storage, unless this is something brand new and I'm missing something.

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

SSD's have an internal RAIN, akin to a RAID 0 but of flash chips instead of drives. Higher capacity -> more chips -> faster drive.

[​IMG]

17. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

Thats awesome! what did you have to do to yours to get those readings?

18. Macshroomer, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Simple, buy the 1TB version of the 13" or 15" Retina MacBook Pro, lol!
    Mine is showing a tad higher on read ( Blackmagic ) and that is a benchmark, not real world use.

Let me give you an example of real world use: I have the same 1TB PCIe drive in my brand new 13". I use a 240GB OWC Envoy Pro EX SSD drive via USB3 to transfer big folders of RAW camera files to and from my Mac Pro. OWC specs the drive at around 429 sustained read/write, 500MB/s peak. No one who reviewed or tested the drive on OWC's site got it above 450, most of the time in the high 200's, low 300's, for example.

Well last night I moved a 202GB folder onto the new 13" Retina and it devoured it in less than 6.5 minutes, activity monitor showed average read/write times of 520MB/s via bus powered USB3!!!

I can only attribute that to the monster on the receiving end of that big data, if I am understanding what I am seeing, it damn near saturated max theoretical USB3 and well exceeded anything I ever ever seen via a bus powered drive, incredible for real world big data performance.

[​IMG]

19. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

wow that is impressive to say the least.

20. TRAV9614, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  21. napolean hill thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Trav, I'm 99% sure ill throw another one in there, i literally have zero data on the hdd and never use it. Why are you suggesting i switch ports though? I read that thread (great thread) but did it mention something in there about it being bad. If it did i missed it.