Stripes and colors: How loud is too loud?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by adamfishercox, Mar 1, 2009.

1. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Take a look at my site: http://adamfishercox.com

My goal is to have it be loud and attention-grabbing, but not unattractive, and also not too loud as to distract from content. Did I meet the goal? Do you have any other criticisms?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't think it's too loud. The colors are soft enough to keep that from happening. A casual recommendation would be to add some mouse over effects for at least the menu and maybe some of the other clickable items. Not all images are links, but a good number of them are. You should make clickable regions easy to distinguish from other areas. It's also a little confusing what the site is for when you arrive. There's no real content to talk to the visitor. You can figure it out if you're there for a while, but you shouldn't make it hard on your visitors.

3. si.romin macrumors newbie

I'm no expert, but as 'stripes and colour' schemes go, yours is very attractive in my opinion. My only recommendation would be to somehow align the purple stripes that are in the background and the blue ones in the header and footer, otherwise to me the design looks slightly out of balance.

On another note, I'm trying to get my fixed-width page (980 pixels) to sit dead centre in the browser window. You've done a good job of this. How did you do that?

Si

4. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When I read "stripes and colors" I expected to see something garish and distracting. This one is quite tastefully done.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The site is already centered.

7. Mcnaphobia macrumors newbie

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

When I opened this thread I was expecting something horrific.

I was pleasantly surprised; your site isn't loud (at least not to me), and I found it tastefully done.

9. &Ingonyama macrumors member

Made a few minor changes:

layout.jpg

Also I think you could take away some of the white space at the side and possibly add a bit above and below in the content area.