Stripey screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MoffTarkin, Aug 24, 2009.

1. MoffTarkin macrumors newbie

I have a White apple 2.0 ghz iMac...Running 10.4. When I boot it up, the startup icon (whirring wheel) has a red background to it. Once this has disppeared the screen changes to a random width pink and baby puke coloured stripey pattern. I've tried setting the drive up as a target disk and doing a verify and repair... No joy. Have also booted up using command-s and running fsck -fy ... No joy. Is this a problem with the graphics card? Has anyone got any ideas!!!

Moff

proceed with your demonstration... You may fire when ready.

2. AgentDuk macrumors newbie

Help Reply

I would TRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY going to System Preferences and going into Displays and messing around with the stuff in there (sorry no further help there :/ and then if nothing there works, keep checking out the Appearance section and also the Desktop and Screensaver section. If none of those work, you can always try energy saver and any other Setting section on there to look for anything out of the ordinary.

I hope this helps a little bit, if at all. Also, check the Accounts section and look up the Start up applications.

Good luck!
    :apple:AgentDuk:apple:

3. MoffTarkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi AgentDuk

cheers for this. Unfortunately I can't check any of the system settings as the desktop doesn't appear. The only thing that appears is the mac cursor as an arrow with a red outline and the stripey screen. (horizontal stripes)

many thanks

Moff