Stripped 3.3mm Phillips screw holding super drive and need advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Animalk, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Animalk macrumors 6502

So I was taking apart my MBP to reapply thermal paste on the chips and I accidentally stripped one of the screws holding the super drive to the chassis. :eek:

It is a 3.3mm Phillips screw that is on the bottom right of the super drive if you are facing the screen when it is upright. The screw is heavily stripped as looks nothing like a + now.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to remove it without damaging the rest of my MBP?

I have 3 sets of high precision tools and they all are having a hard time with the screws on my MBP.:(

My local Apple store was nice enough to order some new screws for me which i will be getting in a few days.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. hypermog macrumors regular

3. kiwicrunch macrumors newbie

how about superglueing the screwdriver to the head (be careful when you apply-you may want to mask the surrounding are with tape)

4. Animalk thread starter macrumors 6502

ok I will give this a try though I don't have high hopes that it will work. The screw is recessed between the shell of the lower case and the side of the superdrive. it will be very difficult to get a firm grip on the head of the screw.
    I'll give it a shot though!

If the previous strategy fails I'll try this.

Thanks you guys for your help! If anyone else has any other ideas please share!

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

use a small flathead, depending on how stripped, you can also buy a kit to remove stripped heads for around $20.

6. tatical macrumors member

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Good suggestion.

8. Animalk thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried with flatheads and broke two of them because the point of contact was so small. It broke the corners right off.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

9. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Use a dremel and a cutting wheel if you can get in there and slice a new slot into the screw head for a flat head screwdriver. Just watch how deep you go.

10. Animalk thread starter macrumors 6502

The none of the suggestions above worked.

In the end my uncle somehow managed to get it to turn with a torx screwdriver. I have no idea how he did it because I had also tried with every screwdriver I had. Maybe it was all that dried up super glue sitting for two days that gave it a bit of grip. I don't know.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)