*********** Stripped a screw! HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s.hasan546, Jun 2, 2011.

1. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

Hey guys i think im ********. I was trying to install the optibay and honestly these screws had wayyyyyt oo much lock tite on them. I got all the screws off except the one where you have to move the speaker module to get to the screw underneath. That screw stripped unfortunately. I know how to get stripped bolts off a car not off a computer :mad:...

What should i do?

2. MadMac84 macrumors member

I was trying to replace my hard drive, and even though I had the right torx screw driver I could not get the little mounting screws off the drive without stripping the screws. Way too much lock tight. I ended up using the rubber band trick, but not like how lifehacker described it. The screws were too small. Instead I wrapped the rubber band around the mounting screw and used pliers. Worked perfect. I doubt you'd be able to do this with normal screws though.

Pic of the hard drive mounting screws I'm talking about...

3. emfsfo macrumors newbie

I stripped screw when I was installing my optibay. I tried every trick in the book to get it out, but was only successful with the with the screw extractors that getz76 linked to on Amazon.

For more info, read through this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1150124

4. got2go macrumors member

I too had luck using those screw extractors from amazon on my stripped screw. They are a lifesaver.

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Same thing happened to me. Take it to an Apple Authorized Repair Center if nothing really works out. My repair actually required them to drill into the screw to take it out. The lesson cost me $129 (always use the correct tools for the job).

I also ditched replacing my optical drive with a hard drive and instead got a larger SSD. Never gonna do that again...