Stripped MBA screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by julienmh, Dec 22, 2013.

1. julienmh macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently had to remove my custom SSD from my mac to bring it to the Apple Store so some work could be done on it. Now, I am having trouble unscrewing the bolts in order to take the case off. 2/10 of the screws came out but there are still 8 that won't budge. I believe that these 8 are stripped as my screwdriver seems not to be turning them at all. How would I get about opening the case, replacing the SSD, and putting the screws back in?
    Thanks!

2. Robyr macrumors regular

If you couldn't get them out when you got it back, I would ask Apple to repair their damages.

3. julienmh thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I took it in it was fine and I could open it whenever I wanted to. Now, I can't get any of them open...

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you removed your SSD before taking to Apple for service, and now want to install it again, those tiny screws are easy to strip out - and would be something that an authorized repair shop should have on hand. A shop, particularly if there is some doubt about them stripping out the screws, should replace with good ones at no charge.
    It DOES sound like the shop may have "torqued" down those tiny screws way too tight. I usually tighten barely past snug.
    BTW, pulling out your own SSD, just to take in for unrelated repairs, likely did not need to happen, and may have needlessly contributed to the wear on the screws.

5. julienmh thread starter macrumors newbie

I was worried they would replace it with a lesser model as it is not an Apple brand SSD

Would any electronic repair shop be able to provide me with the new screws???

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Have you taken it back to Apple Store which (it sounds like) may have damaged the screws?

7. julienmh thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the only logical explanation as I was able to open it before I took it to the apple store