Stripped screw (again) - Any tips for removing them in the future?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duncanapple, Apr 17, 2011.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

I hate, I mean HATE these phillips #00 and #000 screws. When I swapped the ram on my late 2008 alum macbook I stripped one of the screws (using the correct phillips #00 or #000, I forget which) getting them out. I had to go to the apple store where they were able to get the stripped screw out. They also had to order replacements (that they graciously gave and mailed me for free despite being out of warranty). When I was setting the last screw, when I had maybe one turn left, it stripped again, but the access door closed thankfully.

Fast forward a year later - now - and I am again having the same problem getting the screw out that holds the hard drive in. I am swapping my 250gb for a 500gb WD Black. My question is not so much how to get the stripped screw out - I have already made a genius appointment - but how in the HECK do you get these things out before they strip? What am I doing wrong? I consider myself pretty handy but the 00 and 000 just seem to be hard as can be to get out.

I tend to prefer craftsman tools, though the screw driver I am using is the "Husky" brand which I got from lowes or home depot. Could it be the quality of the tool? Though the driver head is not deforming, the screw is. What gives!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Edge0Fsanity macrumors newbie

Uhm.. most of the screws in a MacBook are size #0000, so if you're using #000 or #00, it's easy to figure out why you're stripping them, and why it was so easy for the Apple Store to get em out. ;)

4. wpotere Guest

Small tip for stripped screws.... Moisten the tip of the screwdriver and dip it in some cleansing powder (like Comet) then press down firmly and try to turn. Believe it or not the powder will aid in gripping the stripped screw and get it out. ;)

5. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Just turning the screw slowly does help quite a bit.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

He is using the right screwdriver. The screws that he needs to remove are all #00. I have the same macbook and they are all #00 in order to get the back plate off (total of 8), as well as the screw on the retaining bar of the hard drive.

OP, I would recommend Kobalt screwdrivers for doing work on a computer or other small appliance. I've taken the cover off my macbook (late 2008 Alum) at least 4 times and replaced the hard drive as well and have had no problems with stripped screws. I guess there is a possibility it is your tools, maybe try to get a new screwdriver and see if that helps.

You can get the Kobalt tools at Lowes. The ones I use are the precision screwdriver set that has 4 interchangeable bits with a total of 8 heads.. Gives you all the sizes you would need. I would also pick up a set of the torx ones as well as you need those in order to replace the HD.

7. thorn3686 macrumors newbie

surely I tried that before searching on here.
    anyone have a real suggestion?

8. wpotere Guest

Not sure if it will work with something that small but you could get some Comet (powder style cleaner, if you can find it) then slightly moisten the tip of the driver and dip it in the comet. After that try and get the screw out. We used to do this on aircraft to get out stripped screws. Thinking about it soft scrub might work as well. The idea is to put material than can add surface friction to the driver to help get it moving.

9. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, you are striping the + on the head, not the threads, right?

I think you are just not applying enough pressure to the screwdriver

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ouch. Usually what he suggested works. I do that to any screw my assistant cannot remove.

Xcelite 175M when all else fails.