Stripped screw hole on new MBP hard drive bracket?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cnixon, Jul 8, 2011.

1. cnixon macrumors member

Hey guys,

I did some research before this thread but couldn't find the information I'm looking for.

Basically, I went to upgrade the Hard Drive in my new MPB last night. After removing one screw from the HHD bracket, I noticed the second screw was wiggling a little.

I thought that it was just loose. Maybe the assembler just didn't tighten it. However, upon closer inspection, the screw pulled straight out because all the threading on the amuminum case itself was stripped out.

I know there's no way to prove to Apple I didn't just over tighten the screw, so would it do any good to contact them?

Anybody know of a way I could possibly fix it?

Thanks in advance.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

You could put a drop of JB Weld where the hole is and wait for it to dry, that should provide something strong enough for the screw to bite into.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i would contact apple. let them fix it by replacing that item.

there's no way for apple to prove that u DID over tighten the screw... do they have video clip? LOL

go to apple.

4. cnixon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm going to try a bit of JB Weld, like Head Honcho recommended. I've got a lot of experience with using JBW for other things, so I think I can make it work.

I would contact Apple, but I really don't feel like going to the effort for such a small issue.

Also, the manly part of my brain is looking forward to the challenge. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

5. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

GOOD CALL.

the jb weld thing was from troop231. :D

6. troop231 macrumors 603

Lol :)

7. cnixon thread starter macrumors member

Whoops! Sorry for the mix up.

Anyway. I have the afternoon off, so I gave it a shot.

Partially filled the hole with JB Weld Quick Dry. It's not as strong as regular JBW, but it has a little bit of give to it after it dries, and also sets in a few minutes.

After applying the JBW, I put a little bit of dish soap on the screw and pushed it into the hole, wiping off any excess. Let it dry for about 45 minutes, and slowly backed out the screw. Let it dry for a while longer, and now everythings fixed.

It worked really well. My new SSD is locked in tight. Best part is the hole is re-threaded so I can remove the screw whenever I want with no worries.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Chris N.

8. troop231 macrumors 603

Glad to here all is working! Gotta love JB Weld. :cool:

9. bartonjd, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

bartonjd macrumors member