Stripped screw, need replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tallpaul, Feb 2, 2014.

1. tallpaul macrumors member

Hi,

I managed to get a Samsung 2TB 9.5mm drive out of the Seagate Slim 2Tb USB3 external drive(easy enough to do without ruining the carrier) and when I went to replace the original 320gb with the the 2TB in my MCE optibay chassis the two 10.3mm philips screws stripped despite using the exactly same tools as the first install two years ago.

All the other screws came out with normal torque but that corner seemed to be so tight.

I realise I'll have to dremel a groove in the heads to allow a flathead screw driver to loosen them but I'd imagine I'll need two replacement 10.3mm philips screws as per the attached picture.

Would anyone know of a supplier?

it's an Early 2011 MBP

13[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

3. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

If an applestore is nearby its worth a try. I got a couple of replacement MBP case screws like that.

4. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

Cheers, would you believe there are no official Apple Stores in the Republic of Ireland yet only Authorised resellers and repair, I'll try the nearest

5. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

6. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

thanks

authorised apple reseller nearby has ordered them in, €7.70 each! ridic!

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Are they the solid gold ones lol

Barney

8. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

they are platinum with diamond encrusted tips........ they come boxed in a custom made carbon fibre case........

9. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

You'd think with Tim Cook having just visited Ireland they could have at least one Apple store

10. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

They apparently had big plans to come to Grafton street in Dublin 2 which is one of the world's premier shopping districts but nothing happened and now Massimo Dutti have the store that they were rumoured to have been interested.

Compu B have a few nice stores which are essentially Apple Stores without the nice design as they stock everything you will ever find in an Apple store.

got a dremel and got the screws out and was even able to put them back in with the plain head groove i made!

2.256TB now!

Attached Files: