Stripped Screw next to PB G4 HDD...What do I do to remove it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techdude2007, Apr 26, 2009.

1. techdude2007 macrumors newbie

So I took apart my Powerbook G4 Aluminum so that I could replace the ComboDrive. However on the 4th screw around the combo drive, I totally stripped it and I can't get it out. I don't know if drilling it out is the best thing to do since I don't want to damage the Logic Board or the Hard Drive (which is right next to the screw in question). I don't care about damaging the Hard Drive or anything else on the Powerbook. I have a picture attached showing where the screw is located on the inside of the Powerbook.

Any ideas how to remove the screw?

Attached Files:

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Just drill it out. I did this on a friend's iBook once and it went back together fine. Find a drillbit the size of the screw head and drill until it breaks free, leaving the threaded end inside the hole. This should free up whatever needs loosened.

And you might want to cover the HD with a cloth or something while drilling in case you slip :)
    Make sure to blow out the metal shavings before closing it up as they could wreak havoc on the components if left free to move about

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If you already managed to get the screw at least somewhat loose, you could try glueing a stick to the screwhead. Use very little amount of very powerful and very fast glue and be very careful.

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I always use a dremel with a cutting head to get screws un-stuck. You have to use one of those small circular blades (see below). What you do is cut a slot in the screw to turn it into a flat head screw which you can then easily unscrew. This way you can still use the screw afterwards.

[​IMG]

5. edblor macrumors regular

^

Excellent advice. First thing I thought of was drilling it out. But with your method, you could theoretically still have a useful screw!

Cheers

6. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

7. techdude2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would this hurt the Logic Board with vibrations? I guess that was my major concern.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably not. Soldered components are pretty sturdy.

9. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Like miles01110 said, everything is soldered on pretty securely, but remember, when you drill it out you won't be able to use the screw afterwards. Make sure the screw isn't essential before drilling it out.

10. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

Don't drill it out, do what Warranty Voider said and make a slot in it, enough for your flathead screwdriver. That's what i have done with stripped screws and what i will continue to do.