Stripped Screw on New Macbook Pro..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David58117, Feb 28, 2013.

1. David58117 macrumors 65816

I was unscrewing the plate on the bottom, when the very last screw became stripped.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting it out? I've tried super glue, different sizes of screw drivers, etc - all with no luck!

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Try some really sharp pliers, or put a large rubberband on top of the stripped screw and try again, the grip might help.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if your brave you can drill the head of the screw off. it doesnt have to go all the way in. just the thickness of the head of the screw and the bottom should come off. once the bottom plate is off you can grab the shaft of the screw with pliers and unscrew it the rest of the way out.

4. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

Blah, thanks for the suggestion...

You know, I just bought it a few hours ago, I think I'm going to go and exchange it tomorrow. I bought it open box and swear that screw was different from the others (since they came out easily)...

A $100 difference for saving the aggravation, potential damage, or having to drive the 2 hours to the nearest Apple Store is starting to seem worth it.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I agree. I hadnt realized you just got it. Id upgrade to new if possible since they likely wont exchange it for another if it was an open box.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Lesson to everyone that buys open box:

Someone bought it before you and screwed it up and returned it blaming it on the first guy, rather than owning up to the fact that he probably used a crappy screwdriver to remove very precision screws and messed it up.

Have to love it. :cool:

7. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

Returned it! Got a lashing from the returns employee, and told if it strips again they won't accept it..but I paid the difference and walked out with a new one.

This screen is surprisingly better, even after calibrating the old one (I can see up to 252 on the white saturation test..vs 250 after calibrating the old one..).

Anyway, got the 16 gigs installed, screws were fine (I swear the last one was weaker..). So, yep.

White Saturation Test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php#whitetest.png

8. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

I used the proper sized screw driver and have worked on computers/laptops since the Voodoo 3 days.

I showed them exactly what the damage was, and told them what I was doing. The guy said they would take care of it..

I'm holding that that particular screw was bad, since I had no difficultly with the others. Also since I had no problem with the replacement.

Why should I be stuck with a bad screw..?

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I didn't suggest anything.

But good luck.