Stripped screw/ripped out the bottom shell, scratched the logic board...yikes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyroo, Nov 22, 2009.

1. pyroo macrumors member

[​IMG]
    http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/pyro2787/vkn1dcVHHYigNxgklarge.jpg

I have the 2.4Ghz 15' MBPU and I was upgrading the ram for it, but i stripped the screw, i couldnt get the last screw on the bottom right out so I twisted the bottom shell and ripped it out, in the process, the knocked out the connect the arrow is pointing to and scratched/knocked out a couple of the square things in the red circle...and I was wondering if anyone knows what these are? the MBPU still works, but I just wanted to make sure other components of the laptop was not ruined...

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

This is why mechanical aptitude is suggested for someone trying to do their own upgrades.

Your picture does not work either.

3. pyroo thread starter macrumors member

actually, the four bottom screws were all worn down by half by the apple genius who replaced my screen, I got 3 of them out easily but the last one was extremely tight, therefore, there wasn't enough traction to loosen and turn that screw

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I was referring more to the decision to rip it out. There are easy ways to get a stripped screw out that don't involve jerking, ripping, twisting, or tearing on a $1000+ computer.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The connector is for one of the speakers, and the little square dudes are resistors on the logic board. Just for future reference, if a screw is not coming out, and it's connected to something delicate, don't force it. Find someone skilled in working with screws and such and get them to help.

6. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

wow you managed to knock resistors off the logic board??? and your computer still boots, your lucky.

But my guess is when you use whatever component that uses those resistors will either not work or completely fry something else/ the whole motherboard.

7. pyroo thread starter macrumors member

yeah it was a stupid decision but didnt have a chioce...

apple said i had to pay to get the screws out because it was "I" who wore down the screws last and warranty was voided

i tried "carving" the top of the screw so that a flat head screw driver could fit with no luck than i use a small metel clipper (cutter?) to cut the edge of the screw for the flathead screwdriver but that but did not cut it either but made dents on the edges of the aluminum where the screw was instead (the top of the screw head was a lot harder than i thought, dont know how those apple genius wore them down)...than i saw the screw move a bit when i twisted the bottom, so i twisted the bottom more, and by doing so i knocked out that connecter and resistor, and since i thought i broke the laptop, i just ripped the bottom out because having 3 holes for the screws is better than having an overly damaged logic board...

so glad everything still works fine though, and sound still works because i used carpenters glue to glue the connector back on lol

8. ljx718 macrumors 6502

wow, i have no idea how your comp is still working or why you would try that. completely retarded

9. Boiler macrumors regular

Purchasing replacement screws

When I replaced the stock HDD of an early 2009 unibody Macbook Pro 17" I stripped or scratched the heads of two screws. I guess they are not stripped because they were successfully removed and successfully put back in their old place, but the black head of the screw is obviously scratched and turned white or silver in some places.

So if I ever need a repair or to have it looked at, I understand it is best to put back in the stock HDD, but now there is obvious evidence that even if the old stock HDD is in its original place, the HDD has clearly been replaced.

Is this even an issue if I asked to get something like the LCD screen checked or replaced?

I went on ifixit looking for these screws but was unable to find them on sale.
    Could you please post a link if you find a place to purchase replacement screws for the HDD slot.

Thanks!

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

First of all, start your own threads for your questions. It's considered rude to 'hijack' another's thread to ask something.

The hard drive is considered a user-replaceable part. Leave it in if you need service.