Stripped screw while putting in optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bossboss, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Bossboss macrumors member

Stripped one of the internal black screws while removing the superdrive to put in the optibay. The screw is at the very top left of the laptop (upside down laptop with harddrive on the lower left corner, early 2011 15"). Still managed to remove the screw to put in the optibay, but the screw is obviously stripped, but sorta workable.

I'm worried if I have to ever send in my laptop, they will spot the screw being sorta stripped and void the warranty (I already bought the 3 yr apple care).

Think this should be a problem? I'd like to avoid any hassle in the future, so I'd be down for getting a replacement screw, if I even can... Any ideas where I should look for one?

Thanks!

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

You might try emailing iFixit.com , and try to get a part number to google?

3. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Just take the screw to a hardware store and buy a "tap" and rethread the hole.

G.  :D

4. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Yeah, Apple wouldn't notice that at all.

5. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

why does that matter? he's not taking it to the apple store

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Just make sure you remove the optibay before sending it in for repair. The SD is not to be removed as it voids the warranty. Only the ram and HDD are user replaceable....

7. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

If he needs to take it in for warranty work later they may notice he's been in there tinkering and void said warranty.