stripped screws holding in HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 8, 2010.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Anywhere to find replacements? It's the two top screws holding the bracket in place.

How am I going to get these things out? I am not sure why they are so tight this time.

2. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the two that hold it in place that are semicircular? One came out easily for me and the other was stuck and it became pretty stripped so I grabbed a pair of plyers really thin ones and carefully twisted it out. Be careful as your MacBook is exposed.

3. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

it's the two that are holding the bracket down which hold down the HDD/SSD in the original HDD bay. Underneath the bracket are teh torx screws that go in the side of the HDD.

I have a mid-2009 macbook pro unibody.

I need two replacement screws. I believe they are phillips 00, maybe 000 screws.

4. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I'm not sure where you could get replacement screws but I'd also like to know because I could use one. Like I said earlier if you're struggling to get it out, grip some pliers on there softly but firmly and twist it out slowly. It worked for me and took some patience but it worked safely.

5. BurningJah macrumors regular

it seems I always recommend Ifixit.com for your apple needs! If I had your modelnr I could see if they have it available.

Good luck with your repairs

6. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I looked there, but the replacement screw set includes everything except for the screws that hold the HDD in place. :(

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Why do you need replacement screws if they are still in there? You said they were in there tightly.
    Have you been able to remove them, damaged them during removal?
    Tried a pair of needle nose pliers to hold and turn the screw driver while you hold it down firmly (using a philips head 00 driver)?
    If you have the screws out, can you go to a hardware store and see if they have any the same size and length? Can't believe they are so rare you can't find them somewhere.