Stripped the last screw

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afinch1992, Oct 11, 2012.

1. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I am opening my macbook pro for the first time and the last damn screw is stripped now. All the screws were somewhat difficult to dislodge, but once I broke the little blue seal they were easy to get in and out. Now, the last tiny screw is impossible to dislodge and caused me to strip the head. What are my options? just take it to the apple store and have them take a look at it?

Been waiting all week to get my ssd and ram and once everything is here this happens...

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

FYI the blue stuff is loctite. It stops the screws accidentally loosening off and falling out.

3. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I cant believe that little dab of loctite is whats ruining this entire upgrade. Are there any options but to take it to apple?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Problem is doing it without damaging the laptop...

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Don’t have much of a solution but if there is one thing I learned in engineering school it is to never keep turning the screw if the driver is slipping.

6. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

ok don't feel bad, I did the same thing and I work with tools ALL the time...didn't think it would happen to me....
    I have a dremel with an etching/engraving bit. What I did was to etch a small line/groove on the top of the screw so I would have a point to apply force to. I then took a tiny flathead screwdriver and tapped the head counterclockwise on the line and moved it just enough to get it turning. Hope that helps you....

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

You can try putting a rubberband between the screwdriver and the screw head and see if it grips, or you can use a screw extractor.

8. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

thanks for the suggestions guys. I dont have a dremel, so i cant do that. I'll try the rubber band method and see if it budges.

Ill probably stop by the apple store sometime this weekend if all else fails. just a couple more days left in the slow lane I guess

9. afinch1992, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

so now that I am putting all the screws in, the same screw but on the opposite side of the machine will not go all the way back in and there is a noticeable gap on the same side. Has anyone experienced this before?

This is by far the most frustrating upgrade I have ever experienced!

edit: they are the single screws at either side of the machine btw

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Make sure you're not putting in vertical, as it actually sits at a slight angle. If there's more than minor resistance, it's probably not at the right angle.

jW

11. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

yes i did notice its at an angle. probably why i stripped the other side. I put it in at an angle but a portion still sticks out. Its very minimal, still there. I'm more concerned about the small gap that has formed where the shell and the rest of the body meets

12. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Well for anyone that comes upon this thread later on I did find a pretty cheap solution. I purchased this 8 in 1 screwdriver for about $7 from my local home depot and it was able to grip the screw right away.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/husky-8-in-1-phillips-and-slotted-screwdriver-set-74501.html#.UHpBzGlNaJc

I also purchased a complete set of brand new screws for the case for under $10 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZW548E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

The one screw on the other side is still sticking out a tiny bit, but I plan to take every screw out once I put the ssd and ram in and then place the case on again.

13. TDCorinthian macrumors newbie

For the exterior screws, I like to put them in loosely in a sort of star-pattern like when you're replacing a tire. Then I adjust the cover if necessary to make sure everything's lined up, then I tighten all the screws.

Be careful with the two screws that hold the bluetooth/wireless module. A lot of people strip those screws, including me. My solution was to etch a notch in the screw by taking a small flathead, putting steady downward pressure and slowly rocking it from side to side.

I basically turned it into a flathead screw, and the best part was the screws are still usable.