Stripped the torx screws to remove the power supply...options?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Korican100, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

Nothing is wrong with it, the power supply itself. But the Power Supply fan makes an irritating noise around 700-750rpms, and for some reason when im editing etc, it loves to float around there...

The noise, its like a tapping/clicking... like if its hitting a wire, but there is no wire there (i checked). Someone told me it maybe the ball bearings of the fan. So what I was going to do was go in there and reseat it, or just check it out.

Hit it with the torx screw, and dang it, stripped it....so ya know. that sucks. Ideas?

2. ClassObject macrumors 6502

ClassObject

Dremel, cut a slot, use a flat blade screwdriver

3. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

hmmm good idea. is there a lot of sparks flying off the screw?

4. drayon macrumors 6502

depending on how bad you stripped it, try a pozidrive bit.

5. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

I stripped a tiny screw on a MacBook Air disassembly a couple months ago and found these bits did the trick:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A4CWHO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001A4CWHO&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&tag=vicastingcom-20

6. neselaine macrumors newbie

New screws

I hate Torx screws, but haven't found a good alternative till now. Check out Outlaw Fasteners. They claim to not strip, slip or wobble off the bit. Looks like it would really work. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/outlawscrews

7. Saltymac macrumors member

Slightly larger plastic screw might take hold with some muscle.

8. Crazy1323 macrumors newbie

They make bits for drills that grab the screw and twist instead of drilling down.

I would try that first. If that doesnt work, you can always drill out the screw. Place a magnet underneath the screw while drilling to catch any shaving that could touch the PCB and short something.

Obviously, DO NOT drill into the PSU with the machine running and plugged in!!

9. DPUser macrumors 6502a

If the supply is still in your Mac, why not use some fan control software to set min fan speed above the bothersome point and move on...

10. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Sparks aren't the problem the metal filings are. Mask everything up with tape and polythene. Leave the psu plugged in to earth it as a spinning dremel generates static!

Other option is more brute force - bang a slightly bigger torx bit in to fit.