stripping h.264 profiles and other fun bits

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by decksnap, Feb 16, 2010.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I'm re-encoding some video for a client for the web, exporting h.264 out of quicktime pro. In both the original video and the exported video, certain black title screens are not black, but a lighter gray. When I open the exported video in Firefox, which doesn't preserve color profiles, the blacks look nice and black.

Alternately, encoding the same source video with Flash video encoder to FLV creates a video where the blacks are black, even in Safari. So what I'm trying to figure out is how to strip the color profile from the h.264 video altogether, so that Safari users see the same thing as Firefox users. (Or alternately export with a profile that isn't washed out.)

I've read a lot about people's potential workarounds to this 'color shift', but from what I can tell, most haven't grasped that it must be a profile issue, so their solutions aren't really what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

2. totoum macrumors member

I'm using the x264 encoder to create my h.264 files,it lets you choose the color profile and that has solved the issue for me.

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/24173/x264encoder

edit:forgot to mention that, if you have Snow leopard,according to apple you can use automator to change the color profile,see the bottom of this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3712

Since I don't have snow leopard,I've never tried it.

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks for your reply... I'll give them a try. Although, Quicktime does let you choose the color profile as well.. but there is no setting for 'none'. It has 'source profile' and 'destination profile', and you can choose from a list for each. Perhaps there's a combo I simply do not understand. I'd really love to get this right in QT.