stripping out my macbook to make a desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brandontheguy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. brandontheguy macrumors newbie

So I have this clever idea.

I have a 2006 core duo white macbook... we used it for two and a half years until we finally bought an aluminum macbook in 2009... the second one is still going strong, but the 2006 has fallen apart a couple of times since then...

I'm using it right now, so it basically works... I've got 2 gigs of ram in it, plus a big harddrive, and its running pretty well right now with snow leopard...

but... the battery doesn't work, and i've replaced it twice (each time it runs the battery out and then stops charging it). My magsafe adapter died a long time ago. The most frustrating thing is that the trackpad button doesn't work. Also, the superdrive won't burn discs anymore.

So, my clever idea is to make it into a desktop of sorts... I built several PC's back in the day, and I'm competent enough to do upgrades and what not... but I'm not really sure what hurdles there would be in putting a laptop motherboard, etc into a desktop case... if there are any...

So, if any of you have any experience with this, or can point me in a good direction, (i've searched quite a bit, but i haven't found anything extremely helpful, just pictures), i'd appreciate it.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just leave it as is. You can get stands for the MacBook and it'll work fine with the lid closed as long as you have an external mouse, monitor & keyboard attached.

If it were me and I'd sell the thing and buy a used Mac Mini. They're cheap and it sounds like you've got to buy a MagSafe supply anyway.