Stripping sound only

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacDryCleaner, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

Hi Everybody -

I drive a lot and I drive long distances. I would like to strip the SOUND only from movies so I can listen to a movie while I drive. Yes, I could just listen to a video movie while I drive but listening to an mp3 of it would not take up the battery that a video would.

Anybody help me out?

Thanks!

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

If your source is a media file you could just extract the audio by dumping only the audio channel into a mp4 container (I've used Subler for this very thing). Then just change the extension to m4a. No need to re-encode at all.

3. MacDryCleaner thread starter macrumors regular

I really appreciate your recommendation and I downloaded MPEG Streamclip.

However, maybe unsurprisingly, it does not seem to work with iTunes purchased movies. I'm leaving on a long trip tomorrow afternoon and would appreciate any clarification as to why it won't work with iTunes content and, even more important, if you could direct me as to how I could work around this obstacle.

Thanks, I appreciate your time in answering my questions.

4. simsaladimbamba

It does not work with iTunes purchased content due to DRM copy protection. If it would be a movie downloaded via another service, that does not include DRM copy protection, it would work. You might need Perian for some of those sources though.