Strippped Screw in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellrider, Jan 10, 2009.

1. hellrider macrumors regular

I am on a unibody Macbook Pro, and I recently purchased 4GB RAM from OWC. I used a Philips 00 screwdriver which succeeded to unscrew 2-3 screws and I used a Philips 0 to get out another 2-3. However, there is one screw that refuses to move, despite using the correct screwdriver and applying plenty of donward pressure to increase friction. The screwhead has been damaged because of my efforts; it's not the worst stripped screw I have seen, but bad nonetheless. Also, there are 2 non-damaged screws that will not screw in all the way. I have made a Genius appointment at my local Apple Store. Do you think they will be of help? I'm not asking them to install 3rd party RAM, just remove my stripped screw and perhaps give me a few replacements. I am still under warranty. Do you think they can help me? I am willing to pay if need be. Also, do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thank you.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't think they will give you a replacement unless you are an authorized technician.

That said, an authorized technician may be able to hook you up for a fee.

ifixit.com has a set of replacement screws but that isn't for the unibody yet. You can inquire as to when they may have those available, or put in a request.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Screw-Set/IF185-027

3. lscangus macrumors 6502

i do notice some of the screws used in the new Unibody MBP has less satisfactory quality than the one used in my previous Powerbook. I wonder if it is possible for apple to spend a few more cents to get some proper stainless steal screws ?

I hoe the genius will sort that our for you, please let us know what they say about it.

4. hellrider thread starter macrumors regular

I also think the use of Loctite in the screws contributed to the problem. We're on the first generation, so there are bound to problems, unfortunately.

5. lscangus macrumors 6502

do you mean the blue glue thing on the screw? i dun get the point of apple choose to use those!

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Did you try tapping the size 0 one into the screw? Lots of times stripped screws can be taken out by forcing a larger screwdriver into it...granted you are limited in the amount of force you can apply here.

7. hellrider thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried tapping it in...

UPDATE: The Apple Genius explained that my only option was to pay $85 for them to cut out the head of the screw. I am annoyed because a few months ago, my screws seemed to be loosening by themselves, and I took it in for them to tighten them. They complied with my request but I think the screws may have been overtightened if not damaged in the process. I will head back to the store tomorrow and give them that argument. I also want to make sure that if anything goes south in the screw removal process that Apple will cover it.

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

You took you MBP into simply to have screws tightened????

Should be a lesson learned 4U. You took it in for a "non problem" (IMO) and now you have a real problem.

9. hellrider thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to add that I was in the store picking up a replacement machine that had just gotten my data transferred to it from my first machine with a case defect. I paid $2,000 for this - I think I should get my money's worth.

10. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Loctite can be "loosened" with careful application of heat. That said - your best approach is probably to let Apple sort it out and pay the price.

Over many years of experience I have taken the approach to fix what things I can - why you ask? Because something as simple as tightening screws can lead to this. My going on 3 year old MBP still has a minor issue or two - easier to live with it than to have it gutted and get back a scratched up case with other problems from the repair.

Did the Apple Store apply the Loctite?

11. ofirke macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact problem

Hi
    I'm having the same exact problem with the latest Unibody MacBook Pro.

What was your solution after all? Is there any tool that at least help me take those screws out?

Ofir

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

well you could use a dremel tool to grind the head of the screw off.

13. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Have you ever done such a thing? How do you grind the "head" off a conical machine screw that is countersunk? What would you be grinding "off".

My apology if I am not envisioning this correctly.

14. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I stripped a screw on the RAM door to my grandmothers white MacBook, thought I would never be able to get the sucker opened. I ended up getting it opened with a flat head screw driver as I could apply more pressure without it slipping out of place, might work for you.

15. pyroo macrumors member

has anybody here heard of this "glue" that you put on that hardens, than you make a new groove with the screwdriver and take it out? i cant remember what it was.....something cement....????

16. pnyc macrumors 6502

Over the years I had to do this a couple of times on several different macbooks. If you have a Dremel then you can use it to make a "notch" in the head of the screw and try to remove it with a flathead screwdriver alternatively you might try to slowly wear away the head of the screw. It might be a good idea to practice on some spare screws before you work on the one in the MBP.

17. hellrider thread starter macrumors regular

I brought it into an Apple Store and after a bit of an argument, was able to convince them to remove the screw for me, with whatever tools they used, for free. I was still under the basic (not-Apple Care) warranty.

Good Luck.