Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumpelstilskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Helloo
I opened my Macbook Air today and on the screen there were all these vertical stripes (I've attached pictures). The screen is still responsive, because when I moved the pointer thing along the dock the stripe sort of changed... They are blue and green because, I think, the background of the laptop is a lake with trees around it. And then when I restarted the computer the stripes were white and grey like the startup display.
The laptop has a very loose hinge and the screen can be bent down to a 180 degree angle, which I know is a common problem among Macbook Airs and I think that this problem has something to do with this as the screen will occasionally flash back to what it normally is if I tilt the screen backwards and forwards.
The plastic silver bit of the charger has also broken off (this is the third charger I've had and each one does this!) but it's never caused any problems with the laptop itself before so I don't think it's the root of this screen issue.
Does anyone know what this is/how I could fix it? I do'nt really want to pay an extortionate repair fee!
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG00320-20100523-1654.jpg
    IMG00320-20100523-1654.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG00319-20100523-1653.jpg
    IMG00319-20100523-1653.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG00321-20100523-1704.jpg
    IMG00321-20100523-1704.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 79

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The cable that runs from logic board to display is ruined. All related to the cable that runs by the hinges. Definitely the cable.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd take it in. Faulty GPU, loose connection due to known hinge issue, or anything really.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

A NEW Air with defective hinge. I'm not joking when I ask: Can you afford to give this Air to the foundation that publishes Consumer Reports magazine? IMHO us consumers need CD to do durability testing on laptops. I'd love to see an Air with a broken hinge on the cover of Consumer Reports. That would give Apple some motivation to beef up the design. --- Sorry, I know little about screens. I'm sure others here will know how to reply to that.

rumpelstilskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
The cable that runs from logic board to display is ruined. All related to the cable that runs by the hinges. Definitely the cable.

Ahh that's so annoying, I knew I should have gotten the hinge fixed when it broke. Thanks, I'll take it to Apple and see what they can do about fixing/replacing the cable.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Ahh that's so annoying, I knew I should have gotten the hinge fixed when it broke. Thanks, I'll take it to Apple and see what they can do about fixing/replacing the cable.

They have been fixing these free of charge as they have reported their ownership of the hinge problem. There is an official Apple release on it. Hopefully someone will post a link here.

Don't take ownership of this problem. Blame it on the faulty hinge design. Be nice but firm when you take it in. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.