Strong fingers broken glass?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by echo44, Oct 4, 2009.

1. echo44 macrumors 6502

here is a new one. My laptop was on the counter and open. I tried to pick it up by the open lid pinching the front and back of the clamshell case
    between my thumb and fingers with the thumb on the glass.
    I heard a crack and my thumb went through the glass. Would you guys trust
    "techrestore" service or bring it to apple. I am sure they won't cover this under warranty. Is the glass really that fragile? My last macpro with a matte
    screen seemed so much tougher oh well.

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Ouch. I guess that isn't really a way to pick up any laptop...

I'd bring it to the Apple store and pay through my nose to have it repaired :D

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

$300 for new glass is ridonkulous.

See what the apple store says first.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Try and claim it broke under normal conditions. If they don't believe you, argue about manufacturing tolerances

5. kolax macrumors G3

Well I can believe that. Pick anything up and apply pressure to relatively thin glass and it'll crack.

Have you removed the glass panel, or is it pretty stuck all over?

Any photos to ooh and aaah at?

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

People like you are the reasons why the prices get pushed up. Giving advice to the OP to be dishonest just makes me ill about some of the MR forum members. :p

7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Someone said it cost $300 to repair (don't know it that's true)

I'd lie to get out of paying for it

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I feel like this could be considered "normal conditions" as he was only picking it up. No?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no "normal conditions" under which the screen would break. The warranty absolutely doesn't cover damage "due to accident, abuse, misuse", which this clearly is.
    No. Notebooks are not designed to be picked up by the screen.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

What goes around comes around.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Re-read his OP, he said that he picked up the Macbook by grabbing the LCD between his thumb and fingers. How is this a normal way of picking up your notebook? That's a no-brainer that you are placing force upon an LCD. No previous Mac notebook or any computer LCD (unless possibly the panasonic toughbook) could withstand the pressures of squeezing the LCD with your fingers.

Yeah, I see that you would. Hopefully someday someone cheats you and you'll understand. Just because Apple has billions of dollars doesn't mean that customers should start cheating them, you're hurting other consumers in terms of future purchases when prices go up because Apple honored the repair of "customer damaged" goods.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Just tell them the truth of how you picked it up and see what they say. I mean how can a screen break under normal conditions lol?

Keep your fingers crossed :D

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

This type of comment makes me sick and is the reason why Apples prices and care is so expensive. Why should WE foot the bill for the OP's idiocy? :rolleyes:

14. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

My take: if you picked it up by the rim of the screen - i.e. the glass covered black bezel - then it's Apple's fault for poor design/material choice. If you pinched it in an area that covers the LCD screen itself, the it's your fault as gripping LCD screens is normally a no-no for any laptop.

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You don't. Other people with broken stuff do.

I get the screen for the 13.3" Macbook for $58. Apple charges $600-$700 to fix that. A lot of people actually go the Apple repair route. I do not feel bad for Apple as far as dishonest customers go, because they try to rape the customer. If the customer, in turn, tries to rape them, it would be a case of 2 wrongs not making a right. Not morally right, but nothing I'd lose sleep over either.

Techrestore's $300 is hefty considering the cost of the glass, even if you buy it at ridiculous markup instead of having a glazier make proper copies for you. However, they can do this, because Apple is going to quote something many times that. I don't feel this is right, for a premium priced product.

I am not saying to give him a free repair, but I have a good idea of what he's going to hear when he goes to the apple store, and it shouldn't be that way.

16. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

LOL @ everyone getting emotional

So what, you think being honest is going to prevent bad this from happening to you? :rolleyes:

If this were me, I'd say I clicked on the tackpad and it broke. I must have received on of the trackpads that slipped though quality control.

17. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Why is noone answering the OPs question? He's asking whether a third party repairshop would be as good and cheaper than an Applestore!

He never said anything about cheating his way to a free warrantied repair, so this entire discussion is not only off topic, but SO REPEATED!!! It happens in every thread where warranty matters is discussed, so you'd think it could be avoided when warranty's not even an issue!

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yes, the nightmare glass glossy screens are that fragile... my wife did the same thing to her macbook. I replaced the screen myself, but if I was not able to do that I would have apple do it.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. :rolleyes:

One day, someone is going to lie to you and screw you over, and you're going to complain about how unfair that is. Well, too bad for you. Karma's a bitch.

Did you even read the OP? He's talking about the screen, not the trackpad.

And did you ever stop to think that the reason that it costs $300 to replace the glass screen is because people like you lie to Apple to get a free replacement, and because Apple has to recoup the loss somewhere, they jack up the replacement price?

20. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

My bad, when he said glass, I assumed the glass trackpad

21. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Going back to this, I don't know of any company with "manufacturing tolerances" so good they encourage you to pick their notebooks up by the screen.

Do you pick your pets up by their tails, or pick kids up by their hair?

What glass trackpad?

Are you sure it's not just irritation at the advice that has nothing to do with the OP's post, and the suggestion that he fix the problem by lying to cover up his mistake?

22. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

What are you guys appealing to? You're trying to reason with a man that has a clearly bent moral compass. A good argument doesn't seem like it will be persuasive.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This one:
    Picture 5.jpg

Based on the OP's other posts in the forum, it appears they might have the MacBook Air, which doesn't have a glass trackpad. However, they didn't specify which model they picked up. They did refer to their "last macpro" (which is a desktop, not a notebook) but if zw-gator didn't read the post correctly and assumed it was the trackpad, they could have also assumed "macpro" was a MBP with a glass trackpad.

24. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

^ Yea I didn't really understand what the OP was talking about.

I thought he picked it up with this thumb on the glass trackpad and his fingers on the bottom of the computer.

25. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

it could also potentially happen when opening it up normally as most people dont particularly take into consideration the types of materials are used with the new macbookpros.

ive seen people carelessly whip open the screens by grabbing the lid from clamshell mode and surprised it hadnt been damaged or cracked the glass.

and to those about getting out of paying for it, is not always bad.
    how do we/or are we suppose to know if theyre even quoting a relative figure??
    how do we know theyre not ripping us off?
    if theyre willing to do it wihtout having to charge the customer, it seems fair is fair.

but now you know not to lift the system up by the display, period.
    never a good idea.