Strong Mobile Password

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Texas_Toast, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2016
    I have never used a mobile device before, but am curious about this...

Can you create a "strong password" on a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad?

On my MacBook I have started using "passphrases" for extra security, and they tend to be 4-6 words long with special characters.

The last I heard from a friend, you could only use a 4-digit PIN on most mobile devices. Is that still true?

If not, could us have a password on your iPhone or Android like this: M4Cr3M0rR#cks

Or could you have a passphrase on an iPhone or Android like this: Butter Terrier Red 75 Mu
  2. kevinjohnson20 macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    A password consists of at least six to eight characters that are a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols
    and the first option is better than another one until you remember the password correctly.
  3. jetsam macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2015
    You can indeed create a strong password or passphrase, as you described. (For about 30 seconds, my iPhone passphrase actually was "Butter Terrier Red 75 Mu", just as a test.)
    On the other hand, your password can be as simple as 4 digits (which is not recommended).

By default, the iPhone will try to get you to create a six digit passcode. You can select "Passcode Options" at the bottom of that screen to go less complicated (the 4 digit code), or more complicated (passphrase, password, or n-length numeric code).