Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I have never used a mobile device before, but am curious about this...

Can you create a "strong password" on a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad?

On my MacBook I have started using "passphrases" for extra security, and they tend to be 4-6 words long with special characters.

The last I heard from a friend, you could only use a 4-digit PIN on most mobile devices. Is that still true?

If not, could us have a password on your iPhone or Android like this: M4Cr3M0rR#cks

Or could you have a passphrase on an iPhone or Android like this: Butter Terrier Red 75 Mu

kevinjohnson20

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
London
A password consists of at least six to eight characters that are a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols
and the first option is better than another one until you remember the password correctly.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I have never used a mobile device before, but am curious about this...

Can you create a "strong password" on a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad?

On my MacBook I have started using "passphrases" for extra security, and they tend to be 4-6 words long with special characters.

The last I heard from a friend, you could only use a 4-digit PIN on most mobile devices. Is that still true?

If not, could us have a password on your iPhone or Android like this: M4Cr3M0rR#cks

Or could you have a passphrase on an iPhone or Android like this: Butter Terrier Red 75 Mu
You can indeed create a strong password or passphrase, as you described. (For about 30 seconds, my iPhone passphrase actually was "Butter Terrier Red 75 Mu", just as a test.)
On the other hand, your password can be as simple as 4 digits (which is not recommended).

By default, the iPhone will try to get you to create a six digit passcode. You can select "Passcode Options" at the bottom of that screen to go less complicated (the 4 digit code), or more complicated (passphrase, password, or n-length numeric code).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.